Thu, 01/28/2021 - 10:29am | By: Van Arnold
A fascination with zombies has helped University of Southern Mississippi (USM) alumna and author Ash (Banks) Parsons land her most recent novel on the 2021 Best Fiction for Young Adults list by the Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA).
Her book, Girls Save the World in This One, is included among 85 titles selected from 124 official nominations, which were posted and discussed in blog posts on The Hub.
Parsons, a Huntsville, Ala., native, summarizes her book as follows: Fangirl June and her besties Imani and Siggy will let nothing stand in the way of a good time at ZombieCon not the end of high school, not ex-BFF Blair, not overly-enthusiastic cosplayers, not even wait a minute the real actual zombie apocalypse itself!
I was delighted and surprised to learn that my book was selected as a YALSA Best Fiction for Young Adults title, she said. Its a huge honor. I was also moved because I used to be a youth services librarian, and I know the dedication and passion they have for young adult literature.
Parsons earned her undergraduate degree from Mississippi State University and her masters degree in library information science from USM. Since that time, she has been actively involved in child and youth advocacy programs. She taught English to middle- and high-school students in rural Alabama and watching some of her students face seemingly impossible problems helped inspire her first novel, Still Waters.
She has taught creative writing for Troy Universitys ACCESS program and media studies at Auburn University. Parsons recently won the 2016 PEN/Phyllis Naylor Working Writer Fellowship, a $5,000 award for an author of childrens or young-adult fiction to complete a book-length work in progress, for A Chemical Distance.
Dr. Teresa Welsh, director of USMs School of Library and Information Science, has been closely following the distinguished alumnas literary career and relished the opportunity to meet her a few years ago.
Ash returned to campus in Hattiesburg for the 2018 USM Fay B. Kaigler Children's Book Festival, where she led a workshop on the creative use of archetypes in writing and where she also attended the SLIS alumni breakfast, said Welsh. She has a warm, engaging personality, and it was a delight to meet her in person and tell her of the great pride we feel in her accomplishments.
Parsons notes that her inspiration for Girls Save the World in this One sprang from her fascination with the zombie genre. In fact, she has appeared as one of the many roaming, stumbling zombies on the hit TV series The Walking Dead.
During that time, I went to Walker Stalker, the first Walking Dead fan convention in Atlanta, said Parsons. While at the convention, I realized that since people were cosplaying as zombies, if there was an actual zombie apocalypse at a zombie fan convention, how would you be able to tell until it was too late? The idea was hilarious to me, and I kept thinking about it. Years later, I decided it was time to write a horror-comedy set at a zombie fan convention.
Parsons followed the success of Still Waters with her second novel, Holding Onto You (previously published as The Falling Between Us), a contemporary mystery and romance that examines what it might be like to be famous at a young age and all of the pressures that come with it.
Parsons fourth young adult novel, Youre So Dead, is set for release this summer. She describes the book as an Agatha Christie-inspired murder-comedy set at an island festival for influencers-only, except the influencers keep getting killed off.
Parsons, who currently resides in Auburn, Ala., calls her time as a USM graduate student essential in helping shape her writing career.
While I always wrote stories, I didnt specifically think about genre or publishing until I was a graduate student at USM, she said. It was thanks to the Fay B. Kaigler Childrens Book Festival, which I attended as a student, that I began to investigate writing and publishing for young adults. So, you can see, theres a direct line connecting the festival, the (USM) de Grummond Childrens Literature Collection, and my work today.
To see the 2021 Best Fiction for Young Adults List, visit: http://www.ala.org/yalsa/2021-best-fiction-young-adults. To learn more about Ash Banks Parsons writing, visit: http://www.ashparsonsbooks.com.
Read the original post:
USM Alumna's Novel Included on Best Fiction for Young Adults List - Southern Miss Now
- History will not be kind to Tokyo's 'zombie Olympics' - Nikkei Asia - April 5th, 2021
- Researchers discover "Zombie Genes" in the brain that come to life after death - CMU The Tartan Online - April 5th, 2021
- Geoengineering the climate: The zombie idea that just won't die - Resilience - April 5th, 2021
- Hilarie Burton Worried She'd Make a 'Bad Zombie' On The Walking Dead - TooFab - April 5th, 2021
- The Guitar Zombie Apocalypse Is Real - Premier Guitar - April 5th, 2021
- Call of Duty: Warzone's Zombies Move to a New Location - ComicBook.com - April 5th, 2021
- Corey Taylors Zombie Versus Ninja movie will commence shooting this year - Louder - April 5th, 2021
- Is Zombie Army 4 multiplayer? Heres all we know about the Rebellion Developments release - Republic TV - April 5th, 2021
- What are 'zombie mines'? What do they have to do with Malcolm Turnbull? - ABC News - April 5th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Movie According To Reddit Isn't What You'd Think - Looper - April 5th, 2021
- Zombie (The Cranberries song) - Wikipedia - March 9th, 2021
- How to Survive a Zombie Apocalypse, According to the CDC - Inside Edition - March 9th, 2021
- The CDC wants you to prepare for a zombie apocalypse. (Yes, you read that right.) - USA TODAY - March 9th, 2021
- Call of Duty's Zombie Easter Eggs Were Too Hard, So Cold War Season 2 Is Simplifying Things - Kotaku - March 9th, 2021
- Resident Evil 3 Did Army of the Dead's Zombie Vegas 14 Years Ago - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- The perfect Call of Duty zombies mode is here, and it's not Outbreak - PC Gamer - March 9th, 2021
- CDC Offers Guide to Survive Zombie Apocalypse and Other Natural Disasters - Complex - March 9th, 2021
- Zombie Soil: The Harmful Result of Industrial Farming | Earth 911 - Earth911.com - March 9th, 2021
- Call of Duty Warzone Crossover With Zombies Teased on Twitter - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- 'Zombie' cicadas could be on your doorstep this summer - Times-West Virginian - March 9th, 2021
- How to Find Flawless Aetherium Crystals in COD: Zombies Outbreak - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2021
- Resurrected The Walking Dead star Lauren Cohan tells Conan her best zombie kill nicknames - The A.V. Club - March 9th, 2021
- Warzone yellow access cards - how to survive the new shipwreck zombies event - Gamesradar - March 9th, 2021
- WTOPs Beer of the Week: 3 Floyds Zombie Dust Pale Ale - WTOP - March 9th, 2021
- Indias zombie home fund set to deliver thousands of apartments - The Real Deal - February 20th, 2021
- Zombie infection threat as country unlocks 50,000-year-old viruses - Yahoo News Australia - February 20th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie rises from his grave this March for PC via Steam - PC Invasion - February 20th, 2021
- Zombie Hit Train To Busan Is Getting A US Remake - GameSpot - February 20th, 2021
- Rob Zombie says the meat industrys future is unsustainable - NME.com - February 20th, 2021
- Stubbs The Zombie In Rebel Without A Pulse - Yahoo Entertainment - February 20th, 2021
- Batista Wanted To Play A Zombie On The Walking Dead, Rejected For Being "Too Big" - Fightful - February 20th, 2021
- Dave Bautista told he was too big to play zombie on The Walking Dead - NME - February 17th, 2021
- Dave Bautista Offered To Play A Zombie For Free On The Walking Dead - Screen Rant - February 17th, 2021
- Is plurilateralism making the WTO an institutional zombie? - East Asia Forum - February 17th, 2021
- REVIEW: Zom 100: Bucket List of the Dead, Vol. 1 is a Comedic Zombie Apocalypse - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 17th, 2021
- Don't Eat Pete is a zombie survival game that's available now for Android in Early Access - Pocket Gamer - February 17th, 2021
- Call of Duty Warzone seems to be teasing Zombies - Gamesradar - February 17th, 2021
- James Gunn Weighs In On Whether Zombies Or Vampires Are More Dangerous - Looper - February 17th, 2021
- The Walking Dead back on the march - Stuff.co.nz - February 17th, 2021
- The Walking Dead Turned Dave Bautista Down for a Zombie Role - Superherohype.com - February 16th, 2021
- Army of the Dead Image Teases Zombie Heist Movie - /FILM - February 16th, 2021
- The Real Life Diet of Rob Zombie, Who Thinks Eating Vegan Is Metal - British GQ - February 16th, 2021
- Rob Zombie says veganism is about 'fighting the establishment' - Vegan Food and Living - February 16th, 2021
- The Next Generation of Marvel Zombies Is Already in the Marvel Universe - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 16th, 2021
- It Looks Like Zombies Are Coming To Warzone Season 2 | TheGamer - TheGamer - February 16th, 2021
- ROB ZOMBIE Explains Why He Went Vegan "It Is Anti-Establishment" - Metal Injection - February 14th, 2021
- Zombie Baseballs and MLBs Home Run Problem - The Wall Street Journal - February 14th, 2021
- Rob Zombie Thinks Eating Vegan Is Metal - GQ - February 14th, 2021
- This is what the DoD has planned for a zombie apocalypse - We Are The Mighty - February 14th, 2021
- 3 Cookbooks and guides to teach you how to survive during the eventual zombie apocalypse - Undead Walking - February 14th, 2021
- Call Of Duty Zombies: All Zombies Crews, Ranked - TheGamer - February 14th, 2021
- Tesla : Which is the best EV to own to survive a zombie apocalypse? - marketscreener.com - February 14th, 2021
- Here's How You Can Watch Every Season Of iZombie - Looper - February 14th, 2021
- What's The 1st Thing You'd Grab If Zombies Invaded Twin Falls? - kezj.com - February 14th, 2021
- Kennedy: Banks, communities need to collaborate on zombie property upkeep - The Daily Gazette - February 10th, 2021
- Zombies Attack Bend! [With Video] - The Source Weekly - February 10th, 2021
- Ten Zombie Comedies That Won't Rot Your Braaaaaaaains - tor.com - February 10th, 2021
- These Bulletproof Vehicles Are Perfect For Surviving The Zombie Apocalypse - HotCars - February 10th, 2021
- How a Left 4 Dead Remaster Could Revive the Zombie Shooter Genre - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 10th, 2021
- Rise of Barnegat Light's Zombie Whale; It Starts With Dead Bigfoots, the Devils - The SandPaper - February 10th, 2021
- The Senate should do everything it can to avoid a zombie impeachment trial - CNN - February 9th, 2021
- 8 Video Game Zombies That Break the Traditional Mold - Bloody Disgusting - February 9th, 2021
- Zombie Reddy Four Days Box Office Collection, Teja Sajja's Film Is Ruling The Box Office. - Sakshi Post - February 9th, 2021
- Colm O'Regan: The perfect Valentine's Day gift - a zombie plan for the one you love - Irish Examiner - February 9th, 2021
- Zombie Reddy Third Day Box Office Collection, Teja Sajja's Film Passes The Weekend On A Phenomenal Note - Sakshi Post - February 9th, 2021
- How to Play the Witch Role Mod in Among Us | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - February 9th, 2021
- Reanimation and Zombies: Discussion with author Frank Swain - WLNS - February 9th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie Is Returning In a Unique Re-release From Aspyr Media - Happy Gamer - February 9th, 2021
- Author discussion to explore reanimation, zombies - The Hillsdale Daily News - February 9th, 2021
- Not Ready to Die: These 5 'zombie' cars were sold alongside their replacements - Driving - February 5th, 2021
- Zombie Reddy movie review: When the zombies attack Seema - The Hindu - February 5th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie comes back from the dead in March, achievements revealed - TrueAchievements - February 5th, 2021
- Prasanth Varma: Zombie Reddy doesnt make a joke out of zombies - The Indian Express - February 5th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie Re-Release Launching in March | Game Rant - GameRant - February 5th, 2021
- Shang-Chi Finally Found the Cure for the Newest Kind of Marvel Zombie - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 5th, 2021
- Free-Roam VR Unleashed - The Source Weekly - February 5th, 2021
- Releasing Today: Zombie Attack On Box Office.. - Greatandhra.com - February 5th, 2021
- ROB ZOMBIE's New Album Was Completed A Couple Years Ago - Metal Injection - February 5th, 2021
- Zombie nation: Third of adults walking around in concussion-like daze due to stress, lack of sleep - Study Finds - February 5th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie Achievements Listing Hints a Re-release in March - The Nerd Stash - February 5th, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero