Zombies are melee, hostile mobs that spawn in areas with a light level of 7 or less. They are found within nearly all Minecraft biomesand burn in the daylight.
Zombies are sometimes considered the least dangerous hostile mob in the game because they are slow and can only use close-range melee attacks. However, it is possible for several zombies to collaborate and attack as a team (referred to as a siegeor horde), making them more difficult to overcome. Zombies come in many different variations as well, each with their own unique attacking abilities, or inflict a certain effect.
A zombie will target a player when he or she is within a 40 block radius. Zombies can jump 1 block up and will crowd around doors when in pursuit of players and villagers (in Hard mode, they will break wooden doors down). Zombies also occasionally spawn with the ability to equip dropped armor and weapons. Any item equipped in this way will be dropped after the zombie is killed. Zombies will also not drop down into an area if the ledge is taller than five blocks.
Zombies spawn in unlit areas either above ground or underground. They will attempt to break down one's door. When the sun rises, they will burn to death above ground if they aren't under a solid block and don't have a helmet. As of 1.2.3, they also have a chance of spawning with a pumpkin or jack o' lantern on their head (during Halloween), wearing a random type of armor or wielding an iron sword or shovel.
Occasionally, zombies will attack villagers. However, zombie villagers can be healed by using a splash potion of weakness on them and then giving them a golden apple. They heal faster by making a makeshift jail cell for the villager with iron bars and a bed.
When killed, zombies drop 02 pieces of rotten flesh. Rotten flesh can be eaten by a player, but it has an 80% chance of giving a player Food Poisoning. Rotten flesh can safely be used to heal and breed tamed wolves without any risk of the wolf being poisoned, as wolves are immune to rotten flesh poisoning. Also, players can trade rotten flesh with cleric Villagers.
Because they also drop carrots and potatoes on occasion, a player can use a zombie Mob Spawner from a dungeon to potentially collect carrots and potatoes in order to start or supplement a vegetable garden.
Zombies will rarely drop shovels, swords, carrots, potatoes, and armor (if equipped). The looting enchantment increases the chance for these items to drop. Zombies can spawn with and drop Chain Armor. These items will only drop from zombies killed by a player.
A Golden-armored Zombie, as of 1.6
A baby Zombie, spawned with a Spawn Egg.
Zombies are easily identified by their green skin and blue shirts. They also wear dark blue/purple trousers and are the only mobs that are dressed like the default player (Steve). This makes them easy to identify if playing on single player, due to the fact that there are no other players. They make constant moaning noises when they are nearby, giving away their location and allowing a player to prepare to fight. This can be used when mining underground. Following the moaning noises can assist a player in finding a cave, or dungeon.Other zombie types wear different clothing. (eg. a Husk wears a desert outfit) The zombie villager used to wear the same outfit as a zombie, but later got changed to what the village would have been wearing in a later update.
One of the rarest mobs in the game: the Chicken Jockey.
Baby zombies are a mini version of regular zombies which have a rare chance to spawn in either Creative Mode or Survival Mode, with cheats, or with a spawn egg. In 1.6.2, normal baby zombies would spawn, but rarely. Since 1.7, it is now common for a baby zombie to spawn, and there is an extremely rare chance for a baby zombie to spawn riding a chicken. This is called a chicken jockey. As of 1.13, baby zombies now burn in sunlight(except for zombie pigmen and husks). Baby zombies (and their counterparts) are the same as zombies with these exceptions:
Baby villagers are made by villagers when there are a sufficient amount of doors in a village. Baby villagers may turn into baby zombie villagers when they are killed by zombies.
Because they can only use melee attacks, they're easy to farm if one is prepared correctly. Just get a ladderin a building 4 blocks high with a roof, then make a door , and then attack a zombie, and then let him follow. Then, when the zombie comes in, shut the door, climb up the ladder, and get out. Also, placing glass around the building allows for a good view. Just make a hole 4 blocks deep, and then put a trap door at the top, and then follow it with redstone with a lever, then pull the lever when a zombie comes.
Another way to farm zombies is to wall off a zombie spawner, make a hole a single block-wide into the spawner, and chop at the zombies' feet. Make sure to be sealed off from the surrounding cavern, if applicable, and be careful. Baby zombies can still run through the hole and attack. This will have the benefit of collecting massive quantities of rotten flesh, as well as the possibility of harvesting carrots, potatoes, and the occasional iron ingot.
The most basic way is to find a dungeon with a spawner in it, then make a 2 block high pit, which then you can safely kill them all. Extending pit depth to around 10 blocks will allow the player to kill zombies more easily after they're weakened by damage from falling.
Zombies are somewhat easy to defeat. They are slow and have no ranged attacks, but if shot with an arrow, they will attack with however many zombies are next to it. They will also do the same if attacked with a sword (As of 1.5). Zombies can be defeated with any weapon. A good sword will easily dispatch a zombie. The only hazard about zombies is their tendency to spawn in groups, which makes them a danger for unprepared or unskilled players. They are also capable of spawning with armor, giving them extra durability. Zombies wearing headgear will not burn up in sunlight, but their headgear's durability will eventually run out and break, leaving it exposed to the Sun. Also, be aware that, since 1.6.4, zombies will call other zombies to "help." Within seconds, more zombies will pursue a player. The way to prevent this is to kill the zombie as quick as possible.
Regular zombies wear default (Steve-like) clothing, and are the most basic and common type of zombie. They were the second hostile mob to be added followed by the human mob, which was removed.
Zombie villagers are zombies that have a 5% chance to spawn in place of a regular zombie. They also spawn when a villager successfully gets killed by a zombie. This will also happen on the current difficulty. As of 1.11, zombie villagers have new sounds.
Husks spawn in deserts. They have an 80% chance to spawn under the desert sky in place of a regular zombie. Unlike regular zombies though, husks don't burn in sunlight, and can also inflict the hunger effect.
Unlike most other zombies, zombie pigmen are neutral. They will also not chase villagers. Zombie pigmen only spawn in the Nether, or when a pig is struck by lightning. They will also spawn holding a gold sword and are immune to fire damage.
Zombie horses are passive mobs and cannot be spawned in normal gameplay. However, they can be summoned via commands or by a spawn egg in the creative inventory.
Drowned are hostile zombie-like mobs, that, similar to the husk, spawn in exclusive biomes, but only in the ocean. They meet the criteria, as they drop rotten flesh. They do have a rare chance to wield a trident or a fishing rod, and have an 8.5% chance to drop them. Drowned mobs will also chase villagers.
- iZombie: A Tribute to The CWs Zombie Dramedy - Checkersaga - February 15th, 2020
- Zombies about to take over Grosvenor Shopping Centre in Chester - Cheshire Live - February 15th, 2020
- 'Nightmare': Sarah Ristevski was a 'zombie' when her mum disappeared - The Age - February 15th, 2020
- Zombie Army 4: Dead War review: gruesomely moreish action - The Telegraph - February 15th, 2020
- ANIME NEWS: 'Dead' idols to hit the stage in 'Zombie Land Saga' adaptation : The Asahi Shimbun - Asahi Shimbun - February 15th, 2020
- Catch Durango native on Disneys Zombies 2 - The Durango Herald - February 13th, 2020
- Australian sleeps for 40 days in a row and as a zombie goes to the bathroom and the kitchen - The KXAN 36 News - February 13th, 2020
- Ring Fit Adventure climbs into UK top five while Zombie Army 4 breaks top ten - Games Asylum - February 13th, 2020
- The Last of Us 2: How its Zombies are Based on Real-Life Undead - Screen Rant - February 12th, 2020
- Around Town: Penn Square Mall to host 'Zombies 2' event - Journal Record - February 12th, 2020
- Vietnam To Muddle With The Zombie Trademark And Its Residual Goodwill - Mondaq News Alerts - February 12th, 2020
- The Democratic Party is leftwing zombie land, says famed strategist James Carville, who preached lots but ignored Tulsi Gabbard - RT - February 12th, 2020
- Opinion: Burnaby struggling to crack down on this rotting zombie house - Burnaby Now - February 12th, 2020
- Coronavirus is not the zombie plague - Brighton and Hove News - February 12th, 2020
- Sherp ATV Is The Ultimate Vehicle To Survive The Zombie Apocalypse - Motor1 - February 9th, 2020
- In a Nutshell: Attack of the electronic zombies - St. Augustine Record - February 9th, 2020
- Paul Krugman: Zombie Republicans are soulless opportunists destroying the US with Trumps approval - Raw Story - February 9th, 2020
- NEW Video Will Get You Pumped For "Zombies 2" - Inside the Magic - February 9th, 2020
- Dawn of the Dead 2004's Zombie Outbreak Is a Huge Plot Hole - Screen Rant - February 8th, 2020
- Zombie-themed YouTube series filmed in Anderson County - WYFF4 Greenville - February 8th, 2020
- 'Windows 7 is now the computing version of a zombie' - Siliconrepublic.com - February 8th, 2020
- Rob Zombie Posts A Heartwarming Photo With A Legendary Star - Metalheadzone - February 8th, 2020
- S'pore man shares satirical guide on how to survive 'zombie apocalypse' by being a smart hoarder - Mothership.sg - February 8th, 2020
- [World of Death] February is Scary With "Love and Zombies," "Blow Out" and "My Demon Girlfriend" - Bloody Disgusting - February 8th, 2020
- Light-hearted zombie game Throw Anything out now on PSVR - Game Freaks 365 - February 8th, 2020
- Zombie Army 4 Rises Today on PS4 - PlayStation.Blog - February 5th, 2020
- "ZOMBIES 2" Event at the Ocean County Mall for Kids - wobm.com - February 5th, 2020
- Nobel economist Paul Krugman: Zombie Republicans are soulless opportunists and using Trumps rule to destroy the US - AlterNet - February 5th, 2020
- Zombie Army 4: Dead War brings out the dead on Epic Games Store today - PC Invasion - February 5th, 2020
- The thing that causes the stench of death could actually be used to keep you alive - SYFY WIRE - February 5th, 2020
- AMD's latest GPU driver cleans up HDR games and is tuned for Zombie Army 4 - PC Gamer - February 5th, 2020
- The Dark Crystal: Age Of Resistance Tactics And Zombie Army 4: Dead War Are Out Today - Forbes - February 4th, 2020
- Mall of Georgia hosting 'Zombies 2' event prior to premier of the Disney Channel movie - Wisconsin Gazette - February 4th, 2020
- HELP! Save humanity from the zombie apocalypse in Survivor Legacy - Feed Ride - February 4th, 2020
- Teenager caught with gun and zombie knife in car - Lancashire Telegraph - February 4th, 2020
- Hemming and Hawing: The Electoral Zombie Apocalypse - Progressive.org - February 3rd, 2020
- How Zombies Ate the G.O.P.s Soul - The New York Times - February 3rd, 2020
- Robert Kirkman Has Revealed The Origin Of The Zombie Outbreak On 'The Walking Dead' - UPROXX - February 3rd, 2020
- Chosen One of the Day: The zombie baby from Dead Alive - SYFY WIRE - February 3rd, 2020
- Dawn of the Dead: Why Zack Snyder Insisted the Zombies Run in His Remake - Screen Rant - February 3rd, 2020
- New Video Games Out This Week: Zombie Army 4, 7th Sector, and More - Comicbook.com - February 3rd, 2020
- Teenager caught with gun and zombie knife in car - The Bolton News - February 3rd, 2020
- MCU: 5 Characters We'd Want On Our Team In The Zombie Apocalypse (& 5 We Wouldn't) - Screen Rant - February 1st, 2020
- The Big Bang Theory: 5 Characters We'd Want On Our Team In The Zombie Apocalypse (& 5 We Wouldn't) - Screen Rant - February 1st, 2020
- Throw Anything to Survive the Zombie Apocalypse on PlayStation VR Next Week - VRFocus - February 1st, 2020
- US bands cover of Zombie was released too soon after Dolores ORiordans death says The Cranb ... - Daily Bayonet - February 1st, 2020
- Rob Zombie Guitarist John 5's Wife Was Seen With A Leg Revealing Dress Her Husband Reacts! - Metalheadzone - February 1st, 2020
- Meet prosthetic artist Zuby Johal, the creator of zombies in 'Ghost Stories' and Hastar in 'Tumbbad' - The Hindu - February 1st, 2020
- The Walking Dead Saints & Sinners | How to kill zombies - Game Revolution - January 30th, 2020
- Old Man Cap Faces an Army of Zombie Red Skulls in Captain America: The End (Exclusive) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - January 30th, 2020
- Is there a Zombie Army 4: Dead War Nintendo Switch version? - Game Revolution - January 30th, 2020
- Zack Snyders comeback film, Army Of The Dead, will bring a zombie outbreak in Las Vegas - Republic World - Republic World - January 30th, 2020
- Arguing with Zombies: Economics, Politics and the Fight for a Better Future, by Paul Krugman - Times Higher Education (THE) - January 30th, 2020
- Operation Zombie Exposes Guns, Drug-Trafficking Scheme In Philly - International Business Times - January 29th, 2020
- Nobel-winning economist Paul Krugman is here to fight the undead - Salon - January 29th, 2020
- Dying Light: Bad Blood is now free to anyone who owns original PC game - Polygon - January 29th, 2020
- Plants vs Zombies: Battle for Neighborville Update 1.06 Released, Bug Fixes And Improvements - SegmentNext - January 29th, 2020
- Are you prepared for the end of the world? 4 unusual global catastrophes the CDC says you should be planning for - Mancunian Matters - January 29th, 2020
- The Walking Dead--Here's How The Zombie Virus Started, Direct From The Creator - GameSpot - January 28th, 2020
- 'Operation Zombie' uncovers gun and drug trafficking scheme in Philly, Camden - PhillyVoice.com - January 28th, 2020
- Korean Zombie doubles down on frustration with UFC rankings - The Body Lock - January 28th, 2020
- Evolution of the Undead: A Brief History of Zombies in Horror - Bloody Disgusting - January 28th, 2020
- Resident Evil 8 returns to first-person, brings in zombies and werewolves - MSPoweruser - January 28th, 2020
- Win 1 of 4 copies of Zombie Army 4: Dead War on PS4 or Xbox One - PowerUp! - January 28th, 2020
- Korean Zombie unhappy with UFC rankings, feels he should be ranked higher than Brian Ortega - Bloody Elbow - January 28th, 2020
- Review: 'Block Z' is a smart, timely, enjoyable take on the zombie apocalypse genre - ABS-CBN News - January 28th, 2020
- Victor Santos and Alberto Hernandez Bring Ezequiel Himes: Zombie Hunter to Amigo Comics April 2020 Solicitations - Bleeding Cool News - January 28th, 2020
- Dad arrested outside ex-partner's home in Leeds armed with Zombie knife and Rambo knife - Yorkshire Evening Post - January 28th, 2020
- The Walking Dead creator finally reveals what caused zombie apocalypse - Metro.co.uk - January 27th, 2020
- Saints and Sinners makes you feel like you're starring in your very own episode of the TV show - Eurogamer.net - January 27th, 2020
- Rob Zombie's John 5 Shares The Painful Surgery Photo Of Himself - Metalheadzone - January 27th, 2020
- Looking back to 2015 and one of the greatest zombie games ever - Dying Light - TheXboxHub - January 27th, 2020
- Rebellion's Zombie Army Trilogy is infecting Switch this year; includes local wireless multiplayer - PowerUp! - January 27th, 2020
- Zombie Army 4 could be first essential PS4 and Xbox One release of 2020 - Express - January 27th, 2020
- Game Of Thrones: 5 Characters We'd Want On Our Team In The Zombie Apocalypse (& 5 We Wouldn't) - Screen Rant - January 24th, 2020
- The Walking Dead Creator Reveals The Origin Of The Zombie Apocalypse - Forbes - January 24th, 2020
- Boeings Exit From Space Plane Project Is A Lesson In Why We Need To Kill Zombies - Forbes - January 24th, 2020
- The Walking Dead creator finally reveals cause of zombie virus after bringing comics to an end - The Sun - January 24th, 2020
- Zack Snyder's comeback will be centered around Zombies - Film Daily - January 24th, 2020
- Zombies, Catapults And Simulated Surgery: Virtual Reality & High Tech Education Is Going Mainstream - WNIJ and WNIU - January 24th, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero