Zombies are animated corpses. Zombie is a characteristic race for the color black, though in various blocks they have also featured in blue and in Amonkhet in white and red.
In Magic: The Gathering, zombies are unique as a creature type in that sometimes it functions as a race (Mournful Zombie) and sometimes it functions as a class (Vodalian Zombie). The default race for zombies is therefore human, which was never mentioned in the type line, until the embalm mechanic created Human Zombie tokens. In the case of other races, the original race is always mentioned in the type line.
The first card to bear the type was Scathe Zombies in Alpha. That set also contained Zombie Master and Scavenging Ghoul which later gained the subtype Zombie, as well.
Zombies are normally simply animated and have little to no connection with the soul of the deceased, though some especially powerful necromancers know how to bind the dead to their bodies to create smart zombies.
In the Shard of Alara called Esper, there exist beings who enter undeath by replacing most or all of their natural flesh with etherium, becoming undead abominations known as aether-liches. An aether-lich houses their soul in an etherium phylactery known as an Immortal Coil.
In Grixis, necromancers create zombies to do their bidding or to prolong their own life. One of the major powers of the Shard, Sedris, is a zombie himself. These damned oftentimes aren't distinguishable from the real living.
Amonkhet is saturated in dark energies that cause every living creature to rise again as an undead after their death, referred to as the Curse of Wandering. The Curse of Wandering only affects flesh and ends when the undead has become skeletal. The resulting zombies are focused in black and white, though some Eternals can be found in blue and red.
Zombies outside the central city Naktamun and its protective shield become vicious abominations. Since the people of Amonkhet believe that the soul will exist as long as the body does, the state of rot these creatures are in is seen as a slow fading out of existence.
White Zombies (embalmed and mummified creatures) are referred to as Anointed. They comprise of all the dead within Naktamun that have not passed the five trials. They are used for manual labor, raising children and similar tasks, leaving the living to concentrate fully on achieving a more blessed afterlife. Their fate is seen as acceptable to the horror of becoming an abomination, even though their eventual afterlife will not be as glorious as the one of the Worthy.
The creation of mummies is an automated process, with embalming facilities underground processing the bodies of the slain by removing the internal organs and sealing them in wraps. While every corpse is reanimated in Amonkhet, mummies are made White aligned due to the preservation of their corpses as well as the use of cartouches. A vizier, the last one being Temmet, controlled the mummies.
The mostly blue, black, or red (or, in the case of Rhonas and Oketra, green and white respectively) Zombies of Amonkhet are eternalized creatures, known as Eternals, are the conclusion of those who pass the trials and are slain by Hazoret. They form Bolas' lethal undead fighting force, the Dreadhorde, that has transcended their mortal capabilities. They are embalmed in layers of lazotep, a valuable blue mineral, that preserves their lifeforce as well as deeds in life. The Eternals are elite soldiers with all the skill and prowess of living soldiers, but none of the disadvantages that arise in living beings, such as emotions, hesitation, or disloyalty - and not being "living beings" lets them be deployed across planes, given a means of transportation. Bolas has personally crafted all of Amonkhet to create just such an army The five virtues of anointed in the trials are twisted into Tactical Thought, Adaptability, Resilience, Ruthlessness and Fanaticism, virtues more to Bolas liking. Before the Hour of Devastation, they were stored in Bolass great necropolis.
Not only winners of the Trials were transformed into eternals. Several of the dangerous fauna of Amonkhet, such as hippos, manticores and crocodiles, were also eternalized and served in the Dreadhorde.
As Oketra was slain, mummies began to embalm her corpse. The purpose of this was revealed in War of the Spark, where the Dreadhorde was joined by the monstrous abominations that were once the gods. They are coated in massive quantities of lazotep, allowing them to enter Ravnica and cause chaos there.
Liches are beings who have stored their life force in an object called a phylactery so that their mortal body will endure upwards of millenia in undeath.
Zombies were disturbingly common on Otaria thanks to the Cabal. These included zombified Beasts, Birds, Cats, Centaurs, Dragons, Dwarves, Giants, Goblins and Wurms. As the Mirari exerted its powerful influence over the races of Otaria, the zombies began growing additional deformed appendages (and in some cases, extra heads).
The zombies raised by the Cabal in Modern Times are known as revenants.
Innistrad is a plane partially infested with Zombies. Zombies come in two variants. On one hand, there are the common shambling corpses associated with the color black, called ghouls. Reanimated by necromancers and ghoulcallers they go about making more zombies, killing the living and devouring their flesh. Even gameplaywise these Zombies are slow but overwhelming if the opponent cannot contain them, typically being powerful creatures for their cost and difficult to permanently kill (either through the undying mechanic or occasionally the ability to be recast such as on Gravecrawler) but with some kind disadvantage (coming into play tapped, unable to block etc).
The second variety are in the vein of Frankenstein's Monster, the failed experiments of insane mages who attempted to toy with life itself, associated with the color blue. These are called skaabs, and their creators are called skaberen. A common mechanic for them is the requirement to have creature cards in the graveyard removed, such as corpses as the base for these medical abominations. These creatures are typically very powerful but can be difficult to get into play because they need dead bodies first. This can be provided by self-milling that the mad scientists enable, such as on Deranged Assistant.
In the plane of Mirrodin, zombies are known as the nim, and inhabit the Mephidross Swamp. The Nim are people that have become zombified by the necrogen puffed out of the smokestacks of the Mephidross Swamp. In turn, the Nim vent necrogen gas themselves, as well.
On the plane of Ravnica, two guilds employ zombies: the Golgari Swarm and the Cult of Rakdos.
The Golgari uses ritualistic magic to make zombies, which can deliberately be made to be mindless deadwalkers for labor purposes, or letting them keep their full faculties and abilities, like their Guildmasters Svogthir and Jarad, who were zombies themselves. Their zombies are usually imbued with plants, insects or fungi. The Erstwhile once were an important soldier faction in Ravnica. They were laid to rest in coffins in Umerilek, Mausoleum of the Erstwhile. They returned as Zombie Attendants of Vraska.
They are usually made as mindless deadwalkers and servants. Unlike the Golgari's these ones have their bodies altered with spikes, metal teeth and other torturing implants to make them more deadly.
On their arrival on Ravnica, the Eternals from Amonkhet became known as Bolas's Dreadhorde.
While, Phyrexian Scuta has the creature type "zombie" while actually being a Phyrexian, zombies of Phyrexian origin do exist. Cards like Metathran Zombie and Vodalian Zombie represent creatures that were killed by a Phyrexian tingler. The tingler is a nasty device that resembles a spiny centipede-like insect. One end of the tingler is fashioned with small hooks used both for movement, and for carrying out its main function, which is to zombify enemy troops in the midst of battle, turning them against their allies.
The tingler zombifies by crawling into its victim's mouth and using its hooks to literally rip out their spinal cord, effectively killing them. It will then crawl down their mouth and into the cavity once occupied by the spine and replace the spinal cord, controlling their body. This process is short and leaves the corpse mostly intact, as opposed to the long process by which Phyrexian soldiers usually are created.
The Gurmug Swamps of Tarkir are riddled with the sibsig, the wandering zombie hordes of the Sultaian amalgam of fallen soldiers from the other clans of Tarkir. The bodies of the sibsig zombies are kept well preserved through powerful necromancy, while the rest of the undead army is left to rot.
In Theros, the Noston, or Returned, are undead that escaped the plane's Underworld, governed by the god Erebos. To escape the Underworld, one must lose one's own identity, and as such the Returned not only have no faces beyond a few holes, but also have lost their memories, both of their past lives and the capacity of holding long term memories in themselves. As such, while they are sapient and feel emotions, their existences are nothing but shadow-play, being unable to connect with other living beings and form an actual identity, forever in a state of negative emotions and empty routines.
The Returned wear golden masks: clay masks are used in Theros to frame the faces of the dead, so the elimination of these masks is a symbolic act for the return to the world of the living. Gold is the most common material in the infernal realm, so the Noston use it to craft new masks, that serve as flimsy, hollow identities. They value gold very little beyond their masks, but use currency based on the broken fragments of the clay masks, which have immense symbolic value. When not wandering alone and rejecting civilisation, the Returned go to cities called necropolises, two of which being of particular importance: the neutral Asphodel, where the Noston simply embrace their fate, and the aggressive Odunos, where the undead give in to violent emotions and perform raids on the living.
Whenever a Zendikar vampire fully drains the blood of a living creature without destroying the husk, that creature does not become a vampire. Instead, it becomes a null, a faceless zombie that is stronger and much faster than typical zombies. If nulls are left without orders, they will hunt and kill living things that they can find.
In the Grand Creature Type Update the following creature types were changed into Zombie:
Read the original here:
Zombie - MTG Wiki
- Zombie films that teach us how to survive the apocalypse - 1428 Elm - May 26th, 2020
- Marvel Zombies & DCeased Have Another SCARY Similarity | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - May 26th, 2020
- 'Zombie fires' spread across Siberia, unusual warmth is to blame - The Weather Network - May 26th, 2020
- Why dont the zombie media apologise and resign? - Spiked - May 26th, 2020
- Original Action-Horror Zombie Movie 'The Clearing' Takes a Bite Out of Crackle This June [Exclusive Trailer] - Bloody Disgusting - May 26th, 2020
- Watch: Park Shin Hye And Yoo Ah In Team Up For Survival In Upcoming Zombie Film #ALIVE - soompi - May 26th, 2020
- 4 Things To Know About 'Betaal', The Indian Zombie-Apocalypse Series That We Can't Wait To Watch - MensXP.com - May 26th, 2020
- Concern JobKeeper has created 'zombie firms' that will never recover from coronavirus shutdowns - SBS News - May 26th, 2020
- A zombie apocalypse, a surprise hook-up, and brutal deaths in the latest Legends of Tomorrow - SYFY WIRE - May 22nd, 2020
- Netflix Is on the Hunt for Zombie Accounts - Barron's - May 22nd, 2020
- DayZ cheats: Are there ways to cheat in the zombie apocalypse - GamesRadar+ - May 22nd, 2020
- [Image] Did You Catch the George A. Romero Tribute Zombie on "Legends of Tomorrow" This Week? - Bloody Disgusting - May 22nd, 2020
- Zombie Batman and More DC Comics Statues Arrive with Diamond - Bleeding Cool News - May 22nd, 2020
- With a zombie leader and an off-key message, the Conservatives are beating themselves - The Globe and Mail - May 22nd, 2020
- Once the crisis is over, we will need to let the zombie firms go - Financial Post - May 22nd, 2020
- An Indigenous People's Take on the Zombie Thriller, Celebrity Acid Trips, and a Wild Breakup: Your Weekly Roundup of New Movies - Willamette Week - May 22nd, 2020
- On the frontline against zombies - The Hindu - May 22nd, 2020
- Focus: Powell and Mnuchin testimonies and the fear of zombie companies - Arab News - May 22nd, 2020
- The View from Mudsock Heights: We don't yet know what the zombie spring is doing to us - Athens NEWS - May 22nd, 2020
- Zombie story haunts Betaal! Marathi writers allege that makers lifted the plot of their film Vetaal - Mid-Day - May 22nd, 2020
- Art, poetry and ... zombies? The surprising cultural contributions of the 1918 influenza pandemic - The World - May 22nd, 2020
- Rob Zombie the Sweetheart: Kristina Klebe Recalls Working on HALLOWEEN 2007 - Dread Central - May 22nd, 2020
- Flatbush Zombies Announce "Now More Than Ever" - HotNewHipHop - May 22nd, 2020
- Pandemic Prompts Fears About Viruses And Thawing Permafrost : Goats and Soda - NPR - May 19th, 2020
- How The Marvel Zombies Universe Ate Itself, TWICE | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - May 19th, 2020
- Rise of the zombie Redcoats - The Hindu - May 19th, 2020
- Watch these 10 zombie shows before Betaal - The Indian Express - May 19th, 2020
- The rise of the zombies - InvestorDaily - InvestorDaily - May 19th, 2020
- Grand Theft Auto 5 Zombie Mod RottenV Gives GTA An Undead Nightmare - Screen Rant - May 19th, 2020
- Art, poetry and ... zombies? The surprising cultural contributions of the 1918 influenza pandemic - WUWM - May 19th, 2020
- I Want That! Beavis & Butt-Head Do Rob Zombie's HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES T-Shirt - Dread Central - May 19th, 2020
- The Walking Dead: 5 Ways The Show Improves The Zombie Genre (& 5 Ways It Doesn't) - Screen Rant - May 18th, 2020
- S. Korean adaptation of Hollywood zombie thriller to hit silver screens next month - Aju Business Daily - May 18th, 2020
- Top 10 zombie movies to watch before Betaal - The Indian Express - May 18th, 2020
- Zombie Gold on the Silver Screen - Gamereactor UK - May 18th, 2020
- Zombie Wolverine Shows The GROSSEST Part Of Metal Bones - Screen Rant - May 18th, 2020
- Hulk Once Killed A Marvel Legend With a Single BITE | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - May 18th, 2020
- Check out all the details of Zombie Army 4: Dead War - Gizmo Posts 24 - May 18th, 2020
- Train To Busan Peninsula: Release Date And Information On Its Story - Auto Freak - May 18th, 2020
- The Walking Dead Rick Grimes movies will track the human test subjects sacrificed to find cure for zombie v - The Sun - May 18th, 2020
- Zombies Are All Over in DCs Legends of Tomorrow Episode 5.12 Promo - Superherohype.com - May 15th, 2020
- Zombie Game Sale: Save On The Walking Dead, Dying Light, And More On PC - GameSpot - May 15th, 2020
- Letters: Relying on herd immunity would let the zombies loose - The Advocate - May 15th, 2020
- The Walking Dead: Here's What Caused The Zombies, According To Creator - GameSpot - May 15th, 2020
- The Walking Dead: 10 Romances We Could Have Done Without - WhatCulture - May 15th, 2020
- The Churn: Hope is a Thing with Zombies - SYFY WIRE - May 15th, 2020
- I Walked With A Zombie Is A Zombie Remake Of Jane Eyre - Screen Rant - May 15th, 2020
- Legends of Tomorrow Promo Puts the Heroes in a Zombie Apocalypse - CBR - Comic Book Resources - May 15th, 2020
- Probably negative reviews The Spectator - UWEC Spectator - May 15th, 2020
- 'DC's Legends of Tomorrow' Season 5 Episode 13: Did Astra cause the zombie apocalypse that trapped the team? - MEAWW - May 15th, 2020
- Massey University's Alison Brook on whether we are ready to leave lockdown, the chances of an Aussie summer holiday, wage subsidies and zombie... - May 15th, 2020
- REVIEW: The Kingdom of the Gods Brings a Zombie Apocalypse to Dynastic Korea - CBR - Comic Book Resources - May 13th, 2020
- The Internet Archive is warning users who click on coronavirus misinformation - The Verge - May 13th, 2020
- When Is 'Zombies 2' Coming to Disney+? - Decider - May 13th, 2020
- Iran Still Uses this Massive 'Zombie' Cannon (Made in America) - The National Interest - May 13th, 2020
- Blood Quantum bites back with a fresh, original perspective on zombies - Creative Loafing Tampa - May 13th, 2020
- DAY6 Achieves Personal Record On Realtime Charts With Zombie + Expresses Gratitude To Fans - soompi - May 13th, 2020
- Zombie Game Sale: Save Big On The Walking Dead, Dying Light, And More On PC - GameSpot - May 13th, 2020
- Time to kill scientific zombie that is 'Nature v Nurture' debate - Mirage News - May 13th, 2020
- Rob Zombie Posts A Heartbreaking Photo To Share His Longing For The Audience - Metalheadzone - May 13th, 2020
- LEGENDS OF TOMORROW: There Are Zombies In The New Promo & Photos For Season 5, Episode 13: "I Am Legends" - CBM (Comic Book Movie) - May 13th, 2020
- Everything the Resident Evil movies get wrong about the games - Looper - May 13th, 2020
- Zombie Games Owe Everything To This Cult '80s Horror Hit - TheGamer - May 13th, 2020
- How Zombies Happen: Walking Dead's Apocalypse Cause Revealed - GameSpot - May 13th, 2020
- DAY6 depict the harsh realities of life in 'Zombie' MV The latest kpop news and music - Officially Kmusic - May 13th, 2020
- 10 Zombie Movies To Watch If You Love Dead Rising | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - May 10th, 2020
- The Zombie Genre's Future May Be Grimmer Than You Think | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - May 10th, 2020
- 7 Days to Die: Defense Base Building Tips and Tricks - Screen Rant - May 10th, 2020
- Zombies Ruined My Day Review - TheXboxHub - May 10th, 2020
- Rob Zombie Remembers The Special Show He Played With Rick Nielsen - MetalCastle - May 10th, 2020
- Go Goa Gone: As Saif Ali Khan & Kunal Kemmu starrer clocks 7 years, heres why zombie comedy is a must watch - PINKVILLA - May 10th, 2020
- Legends of Tomorrow Is About to Go Full-On Shaun of the Dead - CBR - Comic Book Resources - May 10th, 2020
- Zombie Army 4: Dead War- What does Critics & Gamers have to say about this Third person Shooter Game? ... - Gizmo Posts 24 - May 10th, 2020
- Edgar Wrights Shaun of the Dead Extras Went Full Zombie and Bit Him: Theyd Gone Feral - IndieWire - May 8th, 2020
- Zombie satellite hunter finds 53-year-old signal in the noise - Coast Reporter - May 8th, 2020
- George C. Romero is finally entering the zombie 'Deadverse' on his own terms - SYFY WIRE - May 8th, 2020
- Dear COVID-19, Kill The Zombie Phrase Don't Waste A Crisis - EDM Digest - May 8th, 2020
- The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners Will Get New Content - UploadVR - May 8th, 2020
- Probably negative reviews - UWEC Spectator - May 6th, 2020
- 'Zombie hunters' stopped in car laden with bows and arrows, tear gas and other illegal weapons in Sweden - 9News - May 6th, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero