Ever since Treyarch showed the world Nazi Zombies inWorld at War, the entire gaming landscape shifted. Plenty of other games followed suit to create engaging horde modes that could rival the addictive nature ofCall of Duty Zombies.
RELATED: 5 FPS Mechanics That Changed The Genre (& 5 That Are Outdated)
To this day, Zombies is still one of the best and well-crafted co-op experiences you can find in video games. Its adrenaline-pumped action and unique settings make it distinct from the dozens of filler game modes on the market. This list will look at the best Zombies maps made in Treyarch's Zombies mode, so you won't be seeingAdvancedWarfare or WW2 zombies here. Regardless, here are the 10 best Zombie maps in the Call of Duty series.
There aren't many video games that let you slay hordes of undead zombies while making witty quips as JFK or Fidel Castro.Black Ops lets players slay the unrelenting undead horde in itsFive Zombies map.
Members of the Zombies community often criticize this map for being too hard, having few train spots beside the second floor and having an awful boss wave. While the Pentagon Thief is rather annoying, running Mustang & Sally or the Ray Gun can make short work of him. This map is special because of its unrelenting difficulty, something seldom seen in modern zombie maps. If you make a mistake, it's all over. Nova crawlers can use teleports as you can, elevators are a deathtrap at higher levels, and most areas are hard to camp in. That is what makes Five special, however. No other map can get the adrenaline pumping like this one.
You spawn in with an M1911 in a small arena, clueless to where you are. Zombies slowly walk to your position when alarms begin to blare. Suddenly, its the last stand against an infinite amount of undead.
Moon, similar to Five, can be a rather difficult map. It can berough at times due to constant excavator drillings or the Moon zombie trying to ruin your day, but the zero gravity locations and fantastic No Man's Land endurance area make this one of the most satisfying Zombies maps to play. The easter egg was also a bittersweet ending to theBlack Ops Zombie storyline, having players swap bodies with Samanthathe game's main antagonistand blowing up theentire Earth. It's a fantastic send off for a great series of Zombies maps.
Originally a cut Zombies map for World at War, Kino Der Toten is a fantastic introduction to the Zombies game mode present inCall of Duty: Black Ops.
RELATED: Every Main Call Of Duty Game Of The Decade, Ranked
There are no major easter eggs in this map, instead being mostly focused on surviving as long as you can.Black Ops introduced some iconic weapons like the Thundergun and Galil, both of which made their debut here. Nova crawlers were somewhat annoying to fight, but it made a nice break from camping and spraying down dozens of zombies. Instead, you would have to frequently move around the map to prevent their blinding gas from affecting you. Kino is a perfect example of how, sometimes, less is more.
This map was fantastic fan service for those who have stuck with the franchise since the beginning, bringing back the PPSH-41 and mounted MG-42's while including the modern Zombies mechanics fans came to love.
The easter egg herewas somewhat unenjoyable, requiring players to do plenty of fetch-quest objectives to progress. With that aside, the Russian town and mythical theming this map has is unique and hasn't been done since. Riding dragons is something you'd expect inSkyrim but is incredibly satisfying to do here. This map is so absurd at times but in every great way possible.
Black Ops 4's perk changes brought ire among many fans, dropping Juggernog and trying to make armor a proper replacement. The split between two timelinesmade many veterans groan over Treyarch's attempt to gain sympathy over a new cast of characters for the third time.
When the story is put to the side,Black Ops 4 made some good gameplay alterations to the Zombies game mode. Ancient Evil is the Magnum Opus ofBlack Ops 4, combining epic imagery with Greek mythology and engaging fights with zombies and bosses alike. The easter egg is also fantastic. If you can stomachBlack Ops 4's changes to gameplay, this is a fantastic addition to the series.
Nacht Der Untoten might have introduced the world to the frantic mania of Zombies, but Der Riese was when this game mode really took off with casuals and hardcore gamers alike.
Sweeping innovations, such as Pack-A-Punch and Teleporters, were all introduced in this map. The eerie vibe of this map makes it instantly recognizable as well, with the cold steel walls juxtaposing the flames and plentiful blood populating the environment. This map might be seen as rather easy by today's standards, but the number of strategies that were possible on this map kept plenty of Zombies fans playing for hundreds of hours.Black Ops 3's rendition called The Giant was also fantastic, but it didn't innovate as much compared to the original. If you don't ownWorld at War, however, The Giant is an amazing substitute to the original.
Black Ops 3 introduced a plethora of gameplay changes in both its multiplayer and Zombies game modes. Players could now slide, use GobbleGumspowerups players couldconsume at willto make rounds easier, and had specialist weapons they could use.
RELATED: 10 Hilarious Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare Memes Only True Fans Understand
With all of these innovations, Treyarch also decided to create an H.P. Lovecraft inspired Zombies map for their first entry inBlack Ops 3. Fans were initially mixed, angry that the original cast was missing and the map was heavily focused on the easter egg. Over time, this underrated map finally began to get the recognition it deserves for its sweeping mechanical changes and masterful execution of its visual design.
Take the epic easter egg present in Moon and set it within a Medieval castle. Then, addBlack Ops 3's gameplay systems and you have Der Eisendrache.
If this list was based on visual spectacle, this would be number one easily. A snowy castle in the mountains is just awesome. This easter egg is simple compared to other Zombies maps, meaning new players and Zombies veterans alike can enjoy it. Nuking the Moon was also a nice touch. Unfortunately, this map ispretty easy and can get boring at times.Besides that, this map is practically perfect.
Black Ops 2 received criticism from veteran Zombies fans for its boring cast of characters, lackluster maps, and lack of the original Zombies cast in this installment.
Treyarch took all of those criticisms to heart and created Origins, a map that took the glowing reception of Mob of the Dead and cranked it up to 11. Elemental staves gave a tangible sense of easter egg progress, and the easter egg on this map is pretty amazing. World War I aesthetics and themed weaponry was satisfying to experience, setting this map apart from every other Zombies map ever made, even comparing it to today's maps.
Many Zombies fans were disappointed with Treyarch's first map, Transit. It lacked interesting characters, had a lacking easter egg, and its segmented nature made it a chore to play.
Die Rise wasn't much better, but Mob of the Dead was a complete 180 in design and execution. Instead of surviving as long as possible, players had an actual objective in this map: create a plane to escape Alcatraz. Of course, escaping from Alcatraz is no easy task. Boss zombies had a massive impact on this map, perfecting the implementation originally seen in Shangri-La. The weapon sandbox on this map was superb. Neverending hallways of cells and stairs made Alcatraz seem incredibly expansive and like a real location. The easter egg was fantastic as well. Mob of the Dead's overall fun factor makes it the best Zombies map ever made to this day.
NEXT: The 10 Greatest Call Of Duty Maps In History, Ranked
Next10 Pokemon That We Would Want To Have As Real Life Pets, Ranked
Charles Burgar is an expert on all things tech and gaming. Graduating from Pikes Peak Community College in 2018 with an Associate of Science, Charles has spent his time dissecting popular video games, movies, and technology. With an understanding of games for as long as he can remember, Charles has a large interest in understanding what makes things fun. He is currently a Freelance writer for TheGamer.
- iZombie: A Tribute to The CWs Zombie Dramedy - Checkersaga - February 15th, 2020
- Zombies about to take over Grosvenor Shopping Centre in Chester - Cheshire Live - February 15th, 2020
- 'Nightmare': Sarah Ristevski was a 'zombie' when her mum disappeared - The Age - February 15th, 2020
- Zombie Army 4: Dead War review: gruesomely moreish action - The Telegraph - February 15th, 2020
- ANIME NEWS: 'Dead' idols to hit the stage in 'Zombie Land Saga' adaptation : The Asahi Shimbun - Asahi Shimbun - February 15th, 2020
- Catch Durango native on Disneys Zombies 2 - The Durango Herald - February 13th, 2020
- Australian sleeps for 40 days in a row and as a zombie goes to the bathroom and the kitchen - The KXAN 36 News - February 13th, 2020
- Ring Fit Adventure climbs into UK top five while Zombie Army 4 breaks top ten - Games Asylum - February 13th, 2020
- The Last of Us 2: How its Zombies are Based on Real-Life Undead - Screen Rant - February 12th, 2020
- Around Town: Penn Square Mall to host 'Zombies 2' event - Journal Record - February 12th, 2020
- Vietnam To Muddle With The Zombie Trademark And Its Residual Goodwill - Mondaq News Alerts - February 12th, 2020
- The Democratic Party is leftwing zombie land, says famed strategist James Carville, who preached lots but ignored Tulsi Gabbard - RT - February 12th, 2020
- Opinion: Burnaby struggling to crack down on this rotting zombie house - Burnaby Now - February 12th, 2020
- Coronavirus is not the zombie plague - Brighton and Hove News - February 12th, 2020
- Sherp ATV Is The Ultimate Vehicle To Survive The Zombie Apocalypse - Motor1 - February 9th, 2020
- In a Nutshell: Attack of the electronic zombies - St. Augustine Record - February 9th, 2020
- Paul Krugman: Zombie Republicans are soulless opportunists destroying the US with Trumps approval - Raw Story - February 9th, 2020
- NEW Video Will Get You Pumped For "Zombies 2" - Inside the Magic - February 9th, 2020
- Dawn of the Dead 2004's Zombie Outbreak Is a Huge Plot Hole - Screen Rant - February 8th, 2020
- Zombie-themed YouTube series filmed in Anderson County - WYFF4 Greenville - February 8th, 2020
- 'Windows 7 is now the computing version of a zombie' - Siliconrepublic.com - February 8th, 2020
- Rob Zombie Posts A Heartwarming Photo With A Legendary Star - Metalheadzone - February 8th, 2020
- S'pore man shares satirical guide on how to survive 'zombie apocalypse' by being a smart hoarder - Mothership.sg - February 8th, 2020
- [World of Death] February is Scary With "Love and Zombies," "Blow Out" and "My Demon Girlfriend" - Bloody Disgusting - February 8th, 2020
- Light-hearted zombie game Throw Anything out now on PSVR - Game Freaks 365 - February 8th, 2020
- Zombie Army 4 Rises Today on PS4 - PlayStation.Blog - February 5th, 2020
- "ZOMBIES 2" Event at the Ocean County Mall for Kids - wobm.com - February 5th, 2020
- Nobel economist Paul Krugman: Zombie Republicans are soulless opportunists and using Trumps rule to destroy the US - AlterNet - February 5th, 2020
- Zombie Army 4: Dead War brings out the dead on Epic Games Store today - PC Invasion - February 5th, 2020
- The thing that causes the stench of death could actually be used to keep you alive - SYFY WIRE - February 5th, 2020
- AMD's latest GPU driver cleans up HDR games and is tuned for Zombie Army 4 - PC Gamer - February 5th, 2020
- The Dark Crystal: Age Of Resistance Tactics And Zombie Army 4: Dead War Are Out Today - Forbes - February 4th, 2020
- Mall of Georgia hosting 'Zombies 2' event prior to premier of the Disney Channel movie - Wisconsin Gazette - February 4th, 2020
- HELP! Save humanity from the zombie apocalypse in Survivor Legacy - Feed Ride - February 4th, 2020
- Teenager caught with gun and zombie knife in car - Lancashire Telegraph - February 4th, 2020
- Hemming and Hawing: The Electoral Zombie Apocalypse - Progressive.org - February 3rd, 2020
- How Zombies Ate the G.O.P.s Soul - The New York Times - February 3rd, 2020
- Robert Kirkman Has Revealed The Origin Of The Zombie Outbreak On 'The Walking Dead' - UPROXX - February 3rd, 2020
- Chosen One of the Day: The zombie baby from Dead Alive - SYFY WIRE - February 3rd, 2020
- Dawn of the Dead: Why Zack Snyder Insisted the Zombies Run in His Remake - Screen Rant - February 3rd, 2020
- New Video Games Out This Week: Zombie Army 4, 7th Sector, and More - Comicbook.com - February 3rd, 2020
- Teenager caught with gun and zombie knife in car - The Bolton News - February 3rd, 2020
- MCU: 5 Characters We'd Want On Our Team In The Zombie Apocalypse (& 5 We Wouldn't) - Screen Rant - February 1st, 2020
- The Big Bang Theory: 5 Characters We'd Want On Our Team In The Zombie Apocalypse (& 5 We Wouldn't) - Screen Rant - February 1st, 2020
- Throw Anything to Survive the Zombie Apocalypse on PlayStation VR Next Week - VRFocus - February 1st, 2020
- US bands cover of Zombie was released too soon after Dolores ORiordans death says The Cranb ... - Daily Bayonet - February 1st, 2020
- Rob Zombie Guitarist John 5's Wife Was Seen With A Leg Revealing Dress Her Husband Reacts! - Metalheadzone - February 1st, 2020
- Meet prosthetic artist Zuby Johal, the creator of zombies in 'Ghost Stories' and Hastar in 'Tumbbad' - The Hindu - February 1st, 2020
- The Walking Dead Saints & Sinners | How to kill zombies - Game Revolution - January 30th, 2020
- Old Man Cap Faces an Army of Zombie Red Skulls in Captain America: The End (Exclusive) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - January 30th, 2020
- Is there a Zombie Army 4: Dead War Nintendo Switch version? - Game Revolution - January 30th, 2020
- Zack Snyders comeback film, Army Of The Dead, will bring a zombie outbreak in Las Vegas - Republic World - Republic World - January 30th, 2020
- Arguing with Zombies: Economics, Politics and the Fight for a Better Future, by Paul Krugman - Times Higher Education (THE) - January 30th, 2020
- Operation Zombie Exposes Guns, Drug-Trafficking Scheme In Philly - International Business Times - January 29th, 2020
- Nobel-winning economist Paul Krugman is here to fight the undead - Salon - January 29th, 2020
- Dying Light: Bad Blood is now free to anyone who owns original PC game - Polygon - January 29th, 2020
- Plants vs Zombies: Battle for Neighborville Update 1.06 Released, Bug Fixes And Improvements - SegmentNext - January 29th, 2020
- Are you prepared for the end of the world? 4 unusual global catastrophes the CDC says you should be planning for - Mancunian Matters - January 29th, 2020
- The Walking Dead--Here's How The Zombie Virus Started, Direct From The Creator - GameSpot - January 28th, 2020
- 'Operation Zombie' uncovers gun and drug trafficking scheme in Philly, Camden - PhillyVoice.com - January 28th, 2020
- Korean Zombie doubles down on frustration with UFC rankings - The Body Lock - January 28th, 2020
- Evolution of the Undead: A Brief History of Zombies in Horror - Bloody Disgusting - January 28th, 2020
- Resident Evil 8 returns to first-person, brings in zombies and werewolves - MSPoweruser - January 28th, 2020
- Win 1 of 4 copies of Zombie Army 4: Dead War on PS4 or Xbox One - PowerUp! - January 28th, 2020
- Korean Zombie unhappy with UFC rankings, feels he should be ranked higher than Brian Ortega - Bloody Elbow - January 28th, 2020
- Review: 'Block Z' is a smart, timely, enjoyable take on the zombie apocalypse genre - ABS-CBN News - January 28th, 2020
- Victor Santos and Alberto Hernandez Bring Ezequiel Himes: Zombie Hunter to Amigo Comics April 2020 Solicitations - Bleeding Cool News - January 28th, 2020
- Dad arrested outside ex-partner's home in Leeds armed with Zombie knife and Rambo knife - Yorkshire Evening Post - January 28th, 2020
- The Walking Dead creator finally reveals what caused zombie apocalypse - Metro.co.uk - January 27th, 2020
- Saints and Sinners makes you feel like you're starring in your very own episode of the TV show - Eurogamer.net - January 27th, 2020
- Rob Zombie's John 5 Shares The Painful Surgery Photo Of Himself - Metalheadzone - January 27th, 2020
- Looking back to 2015 and one of the greatest zombie games ever - Dying Light - TheXboxHub - January 27th, 2020
- Rebellion's Zombie Army Trilogy is infecting Switch this year; includes local wireless multiplayer - PowerUp! - January 27th, 2020
- Zombie Army 4 could be first essential PS4 and Xbox One release of 2020 - Express - January 27th, 2020
- Game Of Thrones: 5 Characters We'd Want On Our Team In The Zombie Apocalypse (& 5 We Wouldn't) - Screen Rant - January 24th, 2020
- The Walking Dead Creator Reveals The Origin Of The Zombie Apocalypse - Forbes - January 24th, 2020
- Boeings Exit From Space Plane Project Is A Lesson In Why We Need To Kill Zombies - Forbes - January 24th, 2020
- The Walking Dead creator finally reveals cause of zombie virus after bringing comics to an end - The Sun - January 24th, 2020
- Zack Snyder's comeback will be centered around Zombies - Film Daily - January 24th, 2020
- Zombies, Catapults And Simulated Surgery: Virtual Reality & High Tech Education Is Going Mainstream - WNIJ and WNIU - January 24th, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero