Ever since Treyarch showed the world Nazi Zombies inWorld at War, the entire gaming landscape shifted. Plenty of other games followed suit to create engaging horde modes that could rival the addictive nature ofCall of Duty Zombies.
RELATED: 5 FPS Mechanics That Changed The Genre (& 5 That Are Outdated)
To this day, Zombies is still one of the best and well-crafted co-op experiences you can find in video games. Its adrenaline-pumped action and unique settings make it distinct from the dozens of filler game modes on the market. This list will look at the best Zombies maps made in Treyarch's Zombies mode, so you won't be seeingAdvancedWarfare or WW2 zombies here. Regardless, here are the 10 best Zombie maps in the Call of Duty series.
There aren't many video games that let you slay hordes of undead zombies while making witty quips as JFK or Fidel Castro.Black Ops lets players slay the unrelenting undead horde in itsFive Zombies map.
Members of the Zombies community often criticize this map for being too hard, having few train spots beside the second floor and having an awful boss wave. While the Pentagon Thief is rather annoying, running Mustang & Sally or the Ray Gun can make short work of him. This map is special because of its unrelenting difficulty, something seldom seen in modern zombie maps. If you make a mistake, it's all over. Nova crawlers can use teleports as you can, elevators are a deathtrap at higher levels, and most areas are hard to camp in. That is what makes Five special, however. No other map can get the adrenaline pumping like this one.
You spawn in with an M1911 in a small arena, clueless to where you are. Zombies slowly walk to your position when alarms begin to blare. Suddenly, its the last stand against an infinite amount of undead.
Moon, similar to Five, can be a rather difficult map. It can berough at times due to constant excavator drillings or the Moon zombie trying to ruin your day, but the zero gravity locations and fantastic No Man's Land endurance area make this one of the most satisfying Zombies maps to play. The easter egg was also a bittersweet ending to theBlack Ops Zombie storyline, having players swap bodies with Samanthathe game's main antagonistand blowing up theentire Earth. It's a fantastic send off for a great series of Zombies maps.
Originally a cut Zombies map for World at War, Kino Der Toten is a fantastic introduction to the Zombies game mode present inCall of Duty: Black Ops.
RELATED: Every Main Call Of Duty Game Of The Decade, Ranked
There are no major easter eggs in this map, instead being mostly focused on surviving as long as you can.Black Ops introduced some iconic weapons like the Thundergun and Galil, both of which made their debut here. Nova crawlers were somewhat annoying to fight, but it made a nice break from camping and spraying down dozens of zombies. Instead, you would have to frequently move around the map to prevent their blinding gas from affecting you. Kino is a perfect example of how, sometimes, less is more.
This map was fantastic fan service for those who have stuck with the franchise since the beginning, bringing back the PPSH-41 and mounted MG-42's while including the modern Zombies mechanics fans came to love.
The easter egg herewas somewhat unenjoyable, requiring players to do plenty of fetch-quest objectives to progress. With that aside, the Russian town and mythical theming this map has is unique and hasn't been done since. Riding dragons is something you'd expect inSkyrim but is incredibly satisfying to do here. This map is so absurd at times but in every great way possible.
Black Ops 4's perk changes brought ire among many fans, dropping Juggernog and trying to make armor a proper replacement. The split between two timelinesmade many veterans groan over Treyarch's attempt to gain sympathy over a new cast of characters for the third time.
When the story is put to the side,Black Ops 4 made some good gameplay alterations to the Zombies game mode. Ancient Evil is the Magnum Opus ofBlack Ops 4, combining epic imagery with Greek mythology and engaging fights with zombies and bosses alike. The easter egg is also fantastic. If you can stomachBlack Ops 4's changes to gameplay, this is a fantastic addition to the series.
Nacht Der Untoten might have introduced the world to the frantic mania of Zombies, but Der Riese was when this game mode really took off with casuals and hardcore gamers alike.
Sweeping innovations, such as Pack-A-Punch and Teleporters, were all introduced in this map. The eerie vibe of this map makes it instantly recognizable as well, with the cold steel walls juxtaposing the flames and plentiful blood populating the environment. This map might be seen as rather easy by today's standards, but the number of strategies that were possible on this map kept plenty of Zombies fans playing for hundreds of hours.Black Ops 3's rendition called The Giant was also fantastic, but it didn't innovate as much compared to the original. If you don't ownWorld at War, however, The Giant is an amazing substitute to the original.
Black Ops 3 introduced a plethora of gameplay changes in both its multiplayer and Zombies game modes. Players could now slide, use GobbleGumspowerups players couldconsume at willto make rounds easier, and had specialist weapons they could use.
RELATED: 10 Hilarious Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare Memes Only True Fans Understand
With all of these innovations, Treyarch also decided to create an H.P. Lovecraft inspired Zombies map for their first entry inBlack Ops 3. Fans were initially mixed, angry that the original cast was missing and the map was heavily focused on the easter egg. Over time, this underrated map finally began to get the recognition it deserves for its sweeping mechanical changes and masterful execution of its visual design.
Take the epic easter egg present in Moon and set it within a Medieval castle. Then, addBlack Ops 3's gameplay systems and you have Der Eisendrache.
If this list was based on visual spectacle, this would be number one easily. A snowy castle in the mountains is just awesome. This easter egg is simple compared to other Zombies maps, meaning new players and Zombies veterans alike can enjoy it. Nuking the Moon was also a nice touch. Unfortunately, this map ispretty easy and can get boring at times.Besides that, this map is practically perfect.
Black Ops 2 received criticism from veteran Zombies fans for its boring cast of characters, lackluster maps, and lack of the original Zombies cast in this installment.
Treyarch took all of those criticisms to heart and created Origins, a map that took the glowing reception of Mob of the Dead and cranked it up to 11. Elemental staves gave a tangible sense of easter egg progress, and the easter egg on this map is pretty amazing. World War I aesthetics and themed weaponry was satisfying to experience, setting this map apart from every other Zombies map ever made, even comparing it to today's maps.
Many Zombies fans were disappointed with Treyarch's first map, Transit. It lacked interesting characters, had a lacking easter egg, and its segmented nature made it a chore to play.
Die Rise wasn't much better, but Mob of the Dead was a complete 180 in design and execution. Instead of surviving as long as possible, players had an actual objective in this map: create a plane to escape Alcatraz. Of course, escaping from Alcatraz is no easy task. Boss zombies had a massive impact on this map, perfecting the implementation originally seen in Shangri-La. The weapon sandbox on this map was superb. Neverending hallways of cells and stairs made Alcatraz seem incredibly expansive and like a real location. The easter egg was fantastic as well. Mob of the Dead's overall fun factor makes it the best Zombies map ever made to this day.
NEXT: The 10 Greatest Call Of Duty Maps In History, Ranked
Next10 Pokemon That We Would Want To Have As Real Life Pets, Ranked
Charles Burgar is an expert on all things tech and gaming. Graduating from Pikes Peak Community College in 2018 with an Associate of Science, Charles has spent his time dissecting popular video games, movies, and technology. With an understanding of games for as long as he can remember, Charles has a large interest in understanding what makes things fun. He is currently a Freelance writer for TheGamer.
- 10 Low Budget Zombie Horror Movies That Are Better Than Blockbusters (& Where To Stream Them) - Screen Rant - September 30th, 2020
- Zombie storms and hurricanes are reanimating in the horror movie we call 2020 - SYFY WIRE - September 30th, 2020
- Zombie Storms are becoming more common, and that may be a trend that wont end - PennLive - September 30th, 2020
- National Weather Service Warns of "Zombie Storms" - Futurism - September 30th, 2020
- In Kempner, there's an opportunity to shoot zombies in October - The Killeen Daily Herald - September 30th, 2020
- Debt, Zombies, And Geopolitics China's Belt And Road Initiative During COVID - OilPrice.com - September 30th, 2020
- Ranking all the names for zombies in The Walking Dead universe - Undead Walking - September 30th, 2020
- How Zombies Will Affect 'Call of Duty: Warzone' - eBaum's World Gaming News - September 30th, 2020
- Marvel Zombies Reveals Which Surprising Marvel Heroes Are Still Fighting - CBR - Comic Book Resources - September 30th, 2020
- Is There a 'Zombie Apocalypse' Ahead for Vacant Properties? - DSNews.com - September 30th, 2020
- Zombie storms are rising from the dead thanks to climate change - Space.com - September 30th, 2020
- The Walking Dead, Survival Rule Of The Week: Its ZOMBIE nature - Undead Walking - September 30th, 2020
- Dutch have few 'zombie companies' but wave of bankruptcies is around the corner - DutchNews.nl - September 30th, 2020
- 'Survival zone' featuring zombies coming to Weymouth this Halloween - Dorset Echo - September 30th, 2020
- The terrifying zombie game that's really cheap on Steam right now - Looper - September 30th, 2020
- A Great Rob Zombie Movie Is Coming To Netflix This Week - We Got This Covered - September 30th, 2020
- Zombie storms are rising from the dead thanks to climate change - Live Science - September 29th, 2020
- Its time to cut off the head of zombie Woodrow stadium plan for East Dallas park - The Dallas Morning News - September 29th, 2020
- How to Recognize the Growing Ranks of Zombie Companies - Barron's - September 29th, 2020
- Gloversville looking to reduce 'zombie' properties | News, Sports, Jobs - Gloversville Leader-Herald - September 29th, 2020
- What happened to COD Zombies? Voice actors get emotional about giving up their roles - Republic World - Republic World - September 29th, 2020
- Zombie storms Paulette returns to the land of living because its 2020 - Republic World - Republic World - September 29th, 2020
- The Walking Dead: World Beyond is there life after a zombie apocalypse? - HeraldScotland - September 29th, 2020
- Waves of 'zombie' company failures predicted as Covid support withdrawn - Stuff.co.nz - September 29th, 2020
- Chandler Riggs warns that the zombie apocalypse is coming - Undead Walking - September 29th, 2020
- Its a climate bomb: The zombie fires driving a vicious circle of global heating - The Independent - September 29th, 2020
- Fears over the growing stockpile of zombie companies - Sydney Morning Herald - September 29th, 2020
- The Marvel Zombies Tricked Reed Richards Into Their First Crossover - Screen Rant - September 29th, 2020
- Red Dead Redemption 2's Version of Undead Nightmare May Not Be Exactly What Fans Wanted - GameRant - September 29th, 2020
- Rise of the zombies? Europe faces insolvency balancing act - Japan Today - September 29th, 2020
- Big Smile, No Teeth: Zombie face is a real thing among new parents - The Star Online - September 29th, 2020
- Zombie storm arrives in the tropics, expert explains what this is - FOX 35 Orlando - September 25th, 2020
- 'Zombie' Tropical Storm Paulette returns from the dead because it's 2020 - CNN - September 25th, 2020
- Marilyn Manson Becomes a Zombie in New Music Video for Dont Chase the Dead Featuring The Walking Deads Norman Reedus - mxdwn.com - September 25th, 2020
- Zombie horror fungus which kills insects and then grows out of their HEADS spotted in local forests - The First News - September 25th, 2020
- A better way to provide Pa. police services than zombie governments and shadow regionalism - York Daily Record - September 25th, 2020
- 'Red Dead Redemption 2' to Receive New Update For Halloween Involving Zombies? - Bloody Disgusting - September 25th, 2020
- #Alive Review The Scarlet - The Scarlet - September 25th, 2020
- Rise of the zombies? Europe faces insolvency balancing act - Reuters - September 25th, 2020
- ANALYSIS-Rise of the zombies? Europe faces insolvency balancing act - Reuters - September 25th, 2020
- Archaeology bombshell: Researchers' shocking findings on Antarctic 'zombie' worms - Daily Express - September 25th, 2020
- X-Men: One of Marvel's First Mutants Is a Better Teacher Than Professor X - CBR - Comic Book Resources - September 25th, 2020
- Zomboat! A surprisingly clever and refreshingly upbeat zombie apocalypse - The Guardian - September 23rd, 2020
- 'Zombie' Tropical Storm Paulette Returns From the Dead Because It's 2020 - NTD - September 23rd, 2020
- Halloween Watch-Along 2020: Join Us for Zombies, Giallo, Slashers, and More! - 25YearsLaterSite.com - September 23rd, 2020
- Warm Bodies Virus Explained: How It's Different Than Other Zombie Movies - Screen Rant - September 23rd, 2020
- Glen Hardwick 'looked like a zombie' when he walked into a family gathering, disability royal commission hears - ABC News - September 23rd, 2020
- Alpine rose active: Clearing zombie cells in the skin - Cosmetics Business - September 22nd, 2020
- Are Protections Keeping Zombie Businesses Artificially Afloat? - ValueWalk - September 22nd, 2020
- Rob Zombie Pays Tribute to Sid Haig on Anniversary of His Death - Loudwire - September 22nd, 2020
- 18 Again And Zombie Detective Go Head-To-Head In Premiere Ratings As Record Of Youth Holds On To Lead - soompi - September 22nd, 2020
- See Rob Zombie's touching tribute to Sid Haig one year after his death - Alternative Press - September 22nd, 2020
- Walking Dead World Beyond review: Junior zombie tale lacks bite - CNET - September 21st, 2020
- Check Out This ' Zombie Farm' That's Just One Hour From Rockford - q985online.com - September 21st, 2020
- Call of Duty Cold War: Possible Zombie Maps and Teaser Breakdown - Essentially Sports - September 21st, 2020
- Read Dead Online to have zombies for Halloween? - Micky News - September 21st, 2020
- Avoiding Virgin and other zombies - Glenn Freeman - Livewire Markets - September 21st, 2020
- Shaun Of The Dead & The 9 Best Foreign Zombie Films, According To IMDb - Screen Rant - September 20th, 2020
- Stubbs the Zombies Bizarro Throwback Soundtrack Perfectly Mixes Old And New - Kotaku - September 20th, 2020
- 5 Great Zombie Movies That Revolutionized The Genre (& 5 That Ripped Them Off) - Screen Rant - September 20th, 2020
- 10 Movies To Watch If You Loved The Cornetto Trilogy | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - September 20th, 2020
- The Daily Meal Names the Best Burger in Iowa [PHOTOS] - khak.com - September 20th, 2020
- Activities in Worcestershire you can do in groups of six | Redditch Advertiser - Redditch Advertiser - September 20th, 2020
- Zombie companies are proliferating here's how to keep them out of your stock portfolio - MarketWatch - September 18th, 2020
- Kingdom: 5 Things That Set It Apart From Other Zombie Shows (& 5 Commonalities) - Screen Rant - September 18th, 2020
- 10 Scariest Zombie Movies (Ranked By How Hard It'd Be To Survive) - Screen Rant - September 18th, 2020
- The Walking Dead: Why The Military Failed To Stop The Zombie Apocalypse - Den of Geek - September 18th, 2020
- Here Are The Best Zombie Movies Of The Last Decade, Ranked According to IMDb - Screen Rant - September 18th, 2020
- Screen Grabs: Bring on the zombies! | 48 hills - 48 Hills - September 18th, 2020
- What's to Be Done Now with All These Zombie Companies? - WOLF STREET - September 18th, 2020
- Watch: Choi Jin Hyuk Conveys The Lonely Life Of A Zombie Through Song In MV Teaser For Zombie Detective - soompi - September 18th, 2020
- Welcome to the Zombie Season - And The Valley Shook - September 18th, 2020
- Europe fears the rise of the zombie companies - Cyprus Mail - September 18th, 2020
- Marvel Zombies: Resurrection #1: Grim, Harsh, & Dark As the Original - Bleeding Cool News - September 18th, 2020
- Greet Your Guests This Halloween With These Spooky Zombie Gnomes - Rare.us - September 18th, 2020
- The 10 Best Zombie Movies Of The 2010s According To IMDb - We Got This Covered - September 18th, 2020
- The zombie drama #Alive fans need to binge on Netflix - Looper - September 18th, 2020
- Flatbush Zombies: Hip-hop is holding the opinions of outsiders way too high - NME - September 18th, 2020
- Queensland scientists have found a way to create 'zombie' avocados - The Donaldson Sisters - The Donaldson Sisters - September 18th, 2020
- Zelter is an upcoming game that crosses Stardew Valley with State of Decay - Windows Central - September 18th, 2020
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero