Maddie Bender: This is Scientific American 60-Second Science. Im Maddie Bender.
In central Texas, in the back of a blacked-out government bus, three health workers stood over coughing patients. They had 10 minutes to put on personal protective equipment and perform nasal swab on the infected.
Nurse: So right here, sir. And were gonna go back down and twirl this around. Im so sorry. Okay, and now were going to do one on the other side, and thatll be it. Alright, you did good.
Bender: This, sadly, might sound like a voice weve heard over the last year as we received a nasal swab for COVID-19.
Participant One: Talk to us about how you were feeling through this entire scenario, with these patients who are coughing,and we dont know what this virus is.
Participant Two: Very nervous. I was scared because I didnt know exactly what to do.
Bender: The thing isnone of this was real. The patients were mannequins, and this was done in 2019. But it sure turned out to be prescient. And more importantly, according to new research, it helped a health care system prepare for when the actual deadly pandemic arrived in the United States in 2020all because of escape rooms and zombies.
[CLIP: Zombie sounds]
Bender: Chances are youve been to or heard about escape rooms, which are timed games where teams find clues and solve puzzles with the goal of getting out of a room. Todaythere are tens of thousands of them worldwide.
But in 2017Kristy Causey and Grace Boseman wanted to bring a different kind of escape room to the Central Texas Veterans Health Care System. They designed an interactive experience to highlight the importance of handwashing and proper use of personal protective equipment, or PPE.
Two years and five iterations later, they changed the theme to pandemic influenza. But when they were first starting out, they took inspiration from a popular TV show at the time.
Causey:We had zombie sounds playing throughout the room. We had simulated blood that we had placed on the walls. Somebody donated a projector that had zombies kind of looking like they were trying to come through a window, so we put that up.
Bender: Thats Causey, whose official role is the simulation educator for the Central Texas Veterans Health Care System. She says that boring PowerPoints to teach clinicians about infection prevention simply werent cutting it, so when Boseman came to her with the idea for a zombie-themed escape room, she says it was a no-brainerif a novel approach.
Causey:We started looking for articlesand, at that time, found only one article in the literature that said they'd even attempted to do an escape room within a health care setting.
Bender: Causey and Boseman wanted to draw attention to these highly effective infection prevention practicesand what happens when you dont follow them.
Boseman: When they peel off the dressing of a wound, Christie pushes a button, and whoever is close by gets sprayed with water.
Bender: Thats Boseman, an infection prevention specialist at the Central Texas VA. PPE adherence wasnt just taught through jump scaresthe duo incorporated best practices into the fabric of their escape rooms.
For instance, Causey and Boseman noticed that clinicians often suit up without checking their gear, so they wrote one of the clues on a disposable glove. They taped a capsule with another clue to the base of a sinkso that it would fall out when participants went to wash their hands.
According to Boseman, it was important that the learning didnt end in the room. She and Causey led staff through a debriefwhere they talked about PPE dos and donts. But they wanted to do more than just tell themthey wanted to show how pathogens can spread without effective PPE. They spread dollar-store dish soap laced with fluorescent Glo Germ over surfaces and mannequins that were standing in for infected patients.
Listen what happened when they shone a UV light on participants gloves and gowns after a round in their sixthescape room, held in 2019just months before the real pandemic hit.
Causey: Were going to turn out the lights now.
Boseman: So now, for the moment of truth, lets take a look at your gloves and your PPE to see if you have any on you. So stick your hands out for me and lets see. Youve got some spots there.
Participant One: Oh, wow.
Participant Two: You mean if i didnt have this on, I would take this home?
Boseman: Correct. Yes, sir.
Participant Two: Oh my.
Bender: Did the flashy demonstration work long-term, though? Causey and Boseman sent around a survey to escape room participantsthree months after the experience, 61 percent of staff said they were washing their hands more because of the activity. The pair presented these results recently at the annual meeting of the Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology.
Boseman says that, ironically, many of the participants thought the scenario was unlikely to ever happen in real life.
Boseman: The scenario that we had for the flu bus was that we were overrun by patients in our facility, so we had to transport them to Dallas. And that really happened a year later, when we got the second surge of COVID in our facility and really did have to transport patients to our Dallas facility.
Bender: Due to the pandemic, the pair had to put the rooms on pause. But with vaccinations on the rise, theyre hopeful that they can bring the room back in time for Octoberwith a few changes, of course.
Boseman: We're running out of clues, so we need to get more creative.
Bender: Thanks for listening. For Scientific American 60-Second Science, Im Maddie Bender.
[The above text is a transcript of this podcast.]
- Zombie skydivers, zombie drag queens, food and more planned for Halloween Zombie Bike Ride - The Aggie - The Aggie - October 9th, 2021
- Rob Jabbaz Brings THE SADNESS To The Zombie Apocalypse - FANGORIA - October 9th, 2021
- Unusual weather is causing zombie canola to flower in the fall - CBC.ca - October 9th, 2021
- Killing Zombies Is Against The Law In Louisiana - News Radio 710 KEEL - October 9th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Movies On Hulu [October 2021] - Looper - October 9th, 2021
- Rob Zombie Pays Tribute to 'Hot Rod Herman' in The Munsters Movie Reboot - MovieWeb - October 9th, 2021
- Cops called 175 times on Beaverton zombie condo squatters - KOIN.com - October 9th, 2021
- Stubbs the Zombie and Paladins are next weeks Epic Games Store freebies - Destructoid - October 9th, 2021
- John Ratcliffe's Zombie Campaign Keeps Paying His Wife $3000 A Month To Manage Its Books - Forbes - October 9th, 2021
- 13th annual Asbury Park Zombie Walk returns to the boardwalk following COVID break - Asbury Park Press - October 9th, 2021
- 2-Nights of Halloween Events: Zombie Night and Goblins and Goodies in LaVergne - Wgnsradio - October 9th, 2021
- How Rob Zombie's 'Halloween II' Paved the Way for a New Kind of Horror - Bloody Disgusting - October 9th, 2021
- Email is a zombie that keeps rising from the dead: the endless pursuit of Inbox Zero - The Guardian - October 9th, 2021
- The 2021 Asbury Park Zombie Walk In Asbury Park, New Jersey - 943thepoint.com - October 9th, 2021
- RUN! This Zombie Apocolypse 5K in Terre Haute will have you avoiding the undead, while raising money for a good cause - WTHITV.com - October 9th, 2021
- Podcast #318: Battling the Zombie of the Fairness Doctrine - Radio Survivor - October 9th, 2021
- 'TWD': Seth Gilliam doesn't think he'd want to live in post-apocalyptic world - Insider - October 9th, 2021
- Hands-on with Back 4 Blood's retail version: Our three-hour stream is now on VOD - Ars Technica - October 9th, 2021
- 'Back 4 Blood' here's when the zombie shooter unlocks in each region - For The Win - October 9th, 2021
- It's Time to Put the Right-Wing Zombie Death Cult on Trial - Daily Beast - September 5th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Games Of All Time - GameSpot - September 5th, 2021
- Poll: What's the Best Rob Zombie Song? - Vote Now - Loudwire - September 5th, 2021
- Best Zombie Movies Streaming on Hulu, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime - Yahoo Entertainment - September 5th, 2021
- Fantasy Fest Parade, Street Fair, Even Zombie Bike Ride Canceled At Key Wests Biggest Party Of The Year - CBS Miami - September 5th, 2021
- Korean zombie film 'Train To Busan' rumoured to get American remake; fans are not happy - Times of India - September 5th, 2021
- 'Train to Busan': Fans Are Not Happy About the US Remake 'Train to Busan:' Fans Are Not Happy About the US Remake - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 5th, 2021
- The Zombie Attack is returning to Louisville's streets. Here's what to know - Courier Journal - August 24th, 2021
- 8 Surprisingly Realistic Zombie Movies (& 7 That Are Way Over The Top) - News Nation USA - August 24th, 2021
- Fast and Furious: Zombies - The New Indian Express - August 24th, 2021
- Rebellion VFX Releases A New Zombie Army Animated Short - Bleeding Cool News - August 24th, 2021
- Authorities could be getting close to solving Zombie Mike rape cases after unidentified remains found in Niskayuna - NEWS10 ABC - August 24th, 2021
- Call of Duty: Vanguard will have a Zombies mode, made by Treyarch - Polygon - August 24th, 2021
- Fishtown Local: Attack of the zombies | Opinion | gloucestertimes.com - Gloucester Daily Times - August 24th, 2021
- Fear TWD Season 7 Teaser Prepares for the Fallout of the Nuclear Zombie Apocalypse - ComicBook.com - August 24th, 2021
- Call of Duty: Mobiles new zombie mode will extend into next season - Digit - August 24th, 2021
- Mental Health And The Zombie Run With YKHC - KYUK - August 24th, 2021
- Dilapidated 'Zombie House' Demolished On Long Island After Years Of Complaints - Daily Voice - August 24th, 2021
- Netflix Based K-Zombie Horror Title 'Kingdom: The Blood' Unveils First Teaser - GLYFE Nation - August 24th, 2021
- From Rick's boots to zombie weapon design, 'The Art of AMC's The Walking Dead Universe' gives us a deep dive - SYFY WIRE - August 24th, 2021
- Watch: The Walking Dead wakes the zombie horde in opening scene to series' 11th and final season - SYFY WIRE - August 24th, 2021
- The Best Zombie Safe Room Notes In The Back 4 Blood Beta - Kotaku - August 10th, 2021
- Anti-Vaxxer Fears Immunization Will Make Her a Zombie, Like in 'I Am Legend' - Vanity Fair - August 10th, 2021
- The Walking Dead season 11 premiere review: "Zombie fatigue is very real" - Gamesradar - August 10th, 2021
- OPINION | READ TO ME: 'Dino-Zombies' crave candy in picture book - Arkansas Online - August 10th, 2021
- ['Dead Rising' at 15] Why Capcom Needs to Give its Goofy Zombie Series Another Shot - Bloody Disgusting - August 10th, 2021
- Andy Puzder: Biden's 'Zombie Tax' will kill family businesses and haunt the living all across America - Fox Business - August 10th, 2021
- ZOMBIES & SCONES: KEYS WRITER HAS A NEVER-ENDING SOURCE OF IDEAS FOR HER BOOKS - Florida Keys Weekly - August 10th, 2021
- Zombies of The Corn announces new attraction: 'The Fun House' - The Times - August 10th, 2021
- [Fantasia Review] 'Brain Freeze' Thaws Out Zombie Formula with Smart Commentary and Humor - Bloody Disgusting - August 10th, 2021
- Back 4 Blood Zombies Aren't Saying Racial Slurs - But They're Close - COGconnected - August 10th, 2021
- I Played Those Zombie Games Following You Around The Internet So You Don't Have To - Kotaku - July 26th, 2021
- Syfy's Day of the Dead Gives SDCC 2021 a First Look at TV's Newest Zombie Tale - Gizmodo - July 26th, 2021
- The Munsters: Rob Zombie Reveals First Look at Spooky Costumes and Herman Munsters Makeup - Variety - July 26th, 2021
- Kingdom writer, director on creating the zombie thriller series: Hunger was the starting point - The Indian Express - July 26th, 2021
- They find a 'zombie frog' that only comes to the surface when it rains CVBJ - Central Valley Business Journal - July 26th, 2021
- This metal-loving grandma singing Rob Zombie at karaoke is the best thing you'll see today - Louder - July 26th, 2021
- Tim Wiederaenders: Don't be a 'zombie' behind the wheel - Today's News-Herald - July 26th, 2021
- BBQ to the Moon and More Zombie De-SPACs? - TheStreet - July 26th, 2021
- Tearful pal of Brit hiker says boyfriend has been 'like a zombie' since she went missing - The Mirror - July 26th, 2021
- Meet the 'zombie frog,' a new species found in the Amazon - DW (English) - July 11th, 2021
- Can the Cleveland Indians repel another attack of Zombie baseball? - cleveland.com - July 11th, 2021
- Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness review: Netflixs show brings zombies to the White House - The Verge - July 11th, 2021
- Newly-discovered zombie frog in Amazon rainforest could already be at risk of extinction - iNews - July 11th, 2021
- Dont Stop Me Now! Why Queens Greatest Hits is the ultimate zombie album - The Guardian - July 11th, 2021
- With All The Problems In The World Today, I Think It's Time We Asked, Can Zombies Swim? - Quad Cities - July 11th, 2021
- What the Tech? Why you should delete 'zombie apps' you never use - WFMZ Allentown - July 11th, 2021
- Zombie Cells Hold Clues to Improved Healing of Spinal Cord Injuries - SciTechDaily - July 11th, 2021
- Sheri Moon Shares Update on Rob Zombie's The Munsters, Will We See a Trailer Soon? - MovieWeb - July 11th, 2021
- After Years of Ridicule, Kenny Schachter Has Kissed and Made Up With Zombie Formalist Lucien Smith. Here, They Talk Art, Drugs, & the Market -... - July 11th, 2021
- Awesome! Get PAID to be a Zombie at Six Flags in Jackson Township - wobm.com - wobm.com - July 11th, 2021
- Zombies coming to Sanford as producers prepare to shoot film in the flood-damaged community - MLive.com - July 1st, 2021
- "Zombie" homes could be on the rise, how Erie County is looking to prevent that - WKBW-TV - July 1st, 2021
- Night of the Animated Dead to Adapt Zombie Classic (Exclusive) - Hollywood Reporter - July 1st, 2021
- Too embarrassed to ask what is a zombie company? - MoneyWeek - July 1st, 2021
- Rare 'zombie fingers' parasitic fungus is hanging on (barely) in Australia - Livescience.com - July 1st, 2021
- What Windows 11 means: We'll be stuck with millions of Windows 10 zombies - ZDNet - July 1st, 2021
- Zombies World Championship Three Wraps Up Zombie Filled Weekend - The Game Haus - July 1st, 2021
- Zombie classic 'Night of the Living Dead' returns with animated adaptation starring Katee Sackhoff, Josh Duhamel - SYFY WIRE - July 1st, 2021
- Milo Manheim Shares Iconic Zed Look, Hints 'Zombies 3' Is Filming Inside the Magic - Inside the Magic - July 1st, 2021
- Zombie Fingers: This Extremely Rare Parasitic Fungus is Hanging on in Few Locations in Australia - Nature World News - July 1st, 2021
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero