Maddie Bender: This is Scientific American 60-Second Science. Im Maddie Bender.
In central Texas, in the back of a blacked-out government bus, three health workers stood over coughing patients. They had 10 minutes to put on personal protective equipment and perform nasal swab on the infected.
Nurse: So right here, sir. And were gonna go back down and twirl this around. Im so sorry. Okay, and now were going to do one on the other side, and thatll be it. Alright, you did good.
Bender: This, sadly, might sound like a voice weve heard over the last year as we received a nasal swab for COVID-19.
Participant One: Talk to us about how you were feeling through this entire scenario, with these patients who are coughing,and we dont know what this virus is.
Participant Two: Very nervous. I was scared because I didnt know exactly what to do.
Bender: The thing isnone of this was real. The patients were mannequins, and this was done in 2019. But it sure turned out to be prescient. And more importantly, according to new research, it helped a health care system prepare for when the actual deadly pandemic arrived in the United States in 2020all because of escape rooms and zombies.
[CLIP: Zombie sounds]
Bender: Chances are youve been to or heard about escape rooms, which are timed games where teams find clues and solve puzzles with the goal of getting out of a room. Todaythere are tens of thousands of them worldwide.
But in 2017Kristy Causey and Grace Boseman wanted to bring a different kind of escape room to the Central Texas Veterans Health Care System. They designed an interactive experience to highlight the importance of handwashing and proper use of personal protective equipment, or PPE.
Two years and five iterations later, they changed the theme to pandemic influenza. But when they were first starting out, they took inspiration from a popular TV show at the time.
Causey:We had zombie sounds playing throughout the room. We had simulated blood that we had placed on the walls. Somebody donated a projector that had zombies kind of looking like they were trying to come through a window, so we put that up.
Bender: Thats Causey, whose official role is the simulation educator for the Central Texas Veterans Health Care System. She says that boring PowerPoints to teach clinicians about infection prevention simply werent cutting it, so when Boseman came to her with the idea for a zombie-themed escape room, she says it was a no-brainerif a novel approach.
Causey:We started looking for articlesand, at that time, found only one article in the literature that said they'd even attempted to do an escape room within a health care setting.
Bender: Causey and Boseman wanted to draw attention to these highly effective infection prevention practicesand what happens when you dont follow them.
Boseman: When they peel off the dressing of a wound, Christie pushes a button, and whoever is close by gets sprayed with water.
Bender: Thats Boseman, an infection prevention specialist at the Central Texas VA. PPE adherence wasnt just taught through jump scaresthe duo incorporated best practices into the fabric of their escape rooms.
For instance, Causey and Boseman noticed that clinicians often suit up without checking their gear, so they wrote one of the clues on a disposable glove. They taped a capsule with another clue to the base of a sinkso that it would fall out when participants went to wash their hands.
According to Boseman, it was important that the learning didnt end in the room. She and Causey led staff through a debriefwhere they talked about PPE dos and donts. But they wanted to do more than just tell themthey wanted to show how pathogens can spread without effective PPE. They spread dollar-store dish soap laced with fluorescent Glo Germ over surfaces and mannequins that were standing in for infected patients.
Listen what happened when they shone a UV light on participants gloves and gowns after a round in their sixthescape room, held in 2019just months before the real pandemic hit.
Causey: Were going to turn out the lights now.
Boseman: So now, for the moment of truth, lets take a look at your gloves and your PPE to see if you have any on you. So stick your hands out for me and lets see. Youve got some spots there.
Participant One: Oh, wow.
Participant Two: You mean if i didnt have this on, I would take this home?
Boseman: Correct. Yes, sir.
Participant Two: Oh my.
Bender: Did the flashy demonstration work long-term, though? Causey and Boseman sent around a survey to escape room participantsthree months after the experience, 61 percent of staff said they were washing their hands more because of the activity. The pair presented these results recently at the annual meeting of the Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology.
Boseman says that, ironically, many of the participants thought the scenario was unlikely to ever happen in real life.
Boseman: The scenario that we had for the flu bus was that we were overrun by patients in our facility, so we had to transport them to Dallas. And that really happened a year later, when we got the second surge of COVID in our facility and really did have to transport patients to our Dallas facility.
Bender: Due to the pandemic, the pair had to put the rooms on pause. But with vaccinations on the rise, theyre hopeful that they can bring the room back in time for Octoberwith a few changes, of course.
Boseman: We're running out of clues, so we need to get more creative.
Bender: Thanks for listening. For Scientific American 60-Second Science, Im Maddie Bender.
[The above text is a transcript of this podcast.]
- Zombie Infection Simulation - The Original - kevan - August 14th, 2022
- Why the Fed is to blame for the boom in zombie companies - Financial Times - August 14th, 2022
- A TikTok Hoax Has People Convinced There's Zombies in China - Distractify - August 14th, 2022
- Tales of the Walking Dead an anthology of zombie apocalypse survivor tales - Boston Herald - August 14th, 2022
- The Walking Dead Season 11 Part 3 Will Finally Address Series Smart Zombies - Game Revolution - August 14th, 2022
- James Gunn Reminds Fan That He Already Made a Zombie Movie - We Got This Covered - August 14th, 2022
- Review: A zombie movie in vampire's clothing, Netflix's Day Shift is a nightmare - The Globe and Mail - August 14th, 2022
- How The Thames, Once a 'Zombie River,' Was Brought Back to Life - Atlas Obscura - August 14th, 2022
- The Future of 'The Walking Dead' Universe Will Be Characterized By a New Zombie Variant - Pajiba Entertainment News - August 14th, 2022
- Inside the abandoned 'zombie like' cottage left untouched since a heartbreaking tragedy - The Mirror - August 14th, 2022
- Time traveller from 2906 claims world will face a plague of zombie pigs later this year - Daily Star - August 14th, 2022
- Tearful Martin Lewis slams 'zombie' Government for crisis as bad as pandemic - Wales Online - August 14th, 2022
- The "zombie" Government: How the UK Leadership Contest and Inertia in Boris Johnson's ... - Latest Tweet by - LatestLY - August 14th, 2022
- Lauren Boebert talks monkeypox and "zombie Reagan" on BlazeTV - Salon - August 6th, 2022
- The Zombie of Recession Died Today - TheStranger.com - August 6th, 2022
- Nonstop Action Drives Korean Zombie Thriller Carter to Badass Heights - Paste Magazine - August 6th, 2022
- LifeAfter: Sea of Zombie launches next week, taking players on a new adventure in search of the Pureland - Pocket Gamer - August 6th, 2022
- As We Know It: Everything We Know So Far About The Nuclear Zombie Apocalypse Movie - /Film - August 6th, 2022
- Steve Vai reveals the pedals he couldn't live without, zombie apocalypse or no zombie apocalypse - MusicRadar - August 6th, 2022
- REVIEW: Rob Zombie Invades Camden with The Freaks On Parade Tour - wmmr.com - August 6th, 2022
- Mobile laser tag (and zombies) is coming to Hattiesburg - HubcitySPOKES.com - August 6th, 2022
- Pam Grier, 30 Rocks Chris Parnell and Project X Star Oliver Cooper to Lead Zombie Apocalypse Movie As We Know It (EXCLUSIVE) - Variety - August 6th, 2022
- Tales of the Walking Dead Jumps 35 Years Into the Future - Post Apocalyptic Media - August 6th, 2022
- This gay-hating GOP nominee once worked for Rosie O'Donnell and starred in a zombie golden shower film - Queerty - August 6th, 2022
- Walking Dead Isle of the Dead Filming Holmdel East Rutherford NJ - 943thepoint.com - August 6th, 2022
- Crowd of teens and man 'arrested with knife' moments boy, 15, stabbed to death - My London - August 6th, 2022
- Hear 2 Tracks From Rob Zombie's 'Munsters' Soundtrack Right Now - Loudwire - July 28th, 2022
- Tales of the Walking Dead Revisits Zombie Outbreak in Atlanta 2010 - ComicBook.com - July 28th, 2022
- Warzone zombies rise again in season four update - PCGamesN - July 28th, 2022
- This Horrifying Zombie Fungus Forces Males to Mate With The Dead. Now We Know How - ScienceAlert - July 28th, 2022
- When is Rob Zombies The Munsters coming to Netflix? - 1428 Elm - July 28th, 2022
- The Walking Dead Bosses Explain the Return of the "Smart Zombie" Twist in Final Season Trailer - FanFest News - July 28th, 2022
- My Turn: How to be angry at zombie politicians - The Recorder - July 28th, 2022
- Where to Watch and Stream Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse Free Online - EpicStream - July 28th, 2022
- Call of Duty: Vanguard's zombie mode is free this week - For The Win - July 20th, 2022
- Rob Zombie's Munsters Movie Hits Netflix This September - GameSpot - July 20th, 2022
- Zombie Army 4 Update 1.48 Out This July 19 (Update) - MP1st - July 20th, 2022
- Zombie fungus draws in flies to mate with the dead - ZME Science - July 20th, 2022
- Syracuses Run of the Dead canceled after 10 years; zombie walk still staggering on - syracuse.com - July 20th, 2022
- Cells become zombies when the ends of their chromosomes are damaged a tactic both helpful and harmful for health - The Conversation Indonesia - July 20th, 2022
- This Scottish stadium hamburger is a zombie on a bun - SB Nation - July 20th, 2022
- Who is the voice of the alien Mothership in Zombies 3? - HITC - Football, Gaming, Movies, TV, Music - July 20th, 2022
- 'ZOMBIES: The Re-Animated Series': How to Watch, Cast, More - J-14 - July 20th, 2022
- Rob Zombie's Reboot of The Munsters to Debut on Netflix This Fall - Ghost Cult Magazine - July 20th, 2022
- Build Back Better Gets the Zombie Treatment - The Dispatch - July 12th, 2022
- 'Valley Of The Dead' Ending, Explained: Does Jan Lozano Save The World From A Zombie Takeover? | DMT - DMT - July 12th, 2022
- Disney World, Disneyland Welcome a Zombie Invasion - TheStreet - July 12th, 2022
- Of RINOs, DINOs and the zombie ant apocalypse - The Hill - July 12th, 2022
- Zombie practice: The mistake youre making thats hurting your game - Golf.com - July 12th, 2022
- Killing Floor 2 is still one of the most satisfying zombie shooters, and it's free on the Epic Games Store - VG247 - July 12th, 2022
- WARGASM Take on the Elite in Zombie-Themed "Fukstar" Music Video - Bloody Disgusting - July 12th, 2022
- Uber Pool Is a Zombie - The Atlantic - July 12th, 2022
- History of Zombies - Origins, Pop Culture & Film - HISTORY - July 4th, 2022
- Zombie (Plants vs. Zombies) | Plants vs. Zombies Wiki | Fandom - July 4th, 2022
- Zombie Army 4: the making of an 'impossible' Switch conversion - Eurogamer.net - July 4th, 2022
- The Movies And Shows That Kickstarted Rob Zombie's Love Of The Horror Genre - /Film - July 4th, 2022
- Meet the 'zombie star' that survived a supernova blast - Reuters.com - July 4th, 2022
- Zombies of the Slaughterhouse - JSTOR Daily - July 4th, 2022
- Zelda Williams is directing a "bonkers" zombie comedy and Diablo Cody is writing it - The A.V. Club - July 4th, 2022
- Where to Watch and Stream ZOMBIES Free Online - EpicStream - July 4th, 2022
- The Last Fortress: Underground Is A Life Simulator Home Management Sim Set In The Zombie Apocalypse - GameSpot - July 4th, 2022
- Review: Drunken Fist 2: Zombie Hangover - Movies Games and Tech - June 23rd, 2022
- Zombie property to be demolished in Rotterdam Junction - NEWS10 ABC - June 23rd, 2022
- How refactoring code in Safari's WebKit resurrected 'zombie' security bug - The Register - June 23rd, 2022
- East Idaho Eats: New zombie-themed food truck brings authentic Cubano, other sandwiches to Pocatello - East Idaho News - June 23rd, 2022
- Why Rob Zombie Won't Watch House Of 1,000 Corpses Anymore - /Film - June 23rd, 2022
- Will We Have an IE Zombie Movie? - CDOTrends - June 23rd, 2022
- Where to Watch and Stream Zombie Massacre Free Online - EpicStream - June 23rd, 2022
- Weekend Whipper: Near Ground Fall on the Famous "Zombie Roof" 5.12d Trad - Climbing Magazine - June 23rd, 2022
- Zombies return to Warzone with Season 4s Rebirth of the Dead mode - CharlieINTEL.com - June 23rd, 2022
- City near Wiltshire in 'unluckiest places' to live in a zombie apocalypse - Wiltshire Times - June 23rd, 2022
- In the Event of a Zombie Apocalypse': What's in the Fine Print You're Signing? - NBC San Diego - June 23rd, 2022
- County Durham beach named one of the UK's weirdest due to 'zombies' - Chronicle Live - June 23rd, 2022
- Review: LAND OF THE DEAD - FANGORIA - June 23rd, 2022
- Moon Knight and an Avenger Are in a Race Against an Army of Zombie Moon Knights (Exclusive) - ComicBook.com - June 23rd, 2022
- Here Are The Lyrics To 'First Kill's Theme, "The Zombie Song" - Elite Daily - June 14th, 2022
- BTS in a Zombie Apocalpyse How Fans Think These Idols Would React - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - June 14th, 2022
- 'Unhuman' review: A vibrant zombie feature that tries to offer more than just clichs - People's World - June 14th, 2022
- This Is the Best Zombie Movie of All Time, According to Data - 24/7 Wall St. - June 14th, 2022
- Two arrested as drugs and 'zombie' knife seized during raid - Liverpool Echo - June 14th, 2022
Reviewed and Recommended by Erik Baquero